Is there's a book about....

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
Happyhacker

Is there's a book about....

Post by Happyhacker »

I read a lot of books on survival some rubbish and some hold my interest from the Amazon library. But I have not read about this type of emergency situation:

You are prepping at home and the SHTF occurs. After some days and food is not available those who have not prepared start coming out of their homes looking for grub. Some will be polite knocking on the door to enquire if you have anything to share. Fine you may or may not be obliging (careful there!). Later people get more aggressive and dangerous situations are likely to occur.

Now by all means start a debate but has anyone read a book (fiction or otherwise) on this theme?
jaffab

Re: Is there's a book about....

Post by jaffab »

You/they will need water way before food is needed. Thirsty people = weakened but desperate people.
Hunger =a deep down rumble that is annoying and makes you think about food all the time.
Dehydration = like the worst itch in the world, an itch that grows by the minute, and you can never scratch it
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

'UK Dark' by Chris Harris kinda touches on what you describe. Its a really good read if you havnt already read it. Also, ' Last Light' by Alex Scarrow. Am currently reading the second book.

I do prefer UK Dark, but both series are good.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
Happyhacker

Post by Happyhacker »

Britcit wrote:'UK Dark' by Chris Harris kinda touches on what you describe. Its a really good read if you havnt already read it. Also, ' Last Light' by Alex Scarrow. Am currently reading the second book.

I do prefer UK Dark, but both series are good.
Thanks mate! Bit expensive so added to my wish list. :P
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Funnily enough, I think water is one of the the things people won't assume others will have. Its taken for granted and under our noses as it were. When they're running out it might bifferent of course....
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

Deeps said:-Funnily enough, I think water is one of the the things people won't assume others will have. Its taken for granted and under our noses as it were. When they're running out it might different of course.

Absolutely, and the worst of it is that many will actually underestimate how much they need daily thus making things worst, and as soon as the power grid goes down every pumping station stops right then,
The unready will be using bottled water to wash in, ot poring down the bog, rather than boiling more unsuitable and undrinkable water, thus saving there stocks
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea
Happyhacker

Post by Happyhacker »

Ive fitted 2 tanks in the loft with individual valves. So I can sneak up there and have a bath when I want! Not sure if I'll get away with smelling like roses for long though!
bobble

Post by bobble »

Hi Happyhacker,
love the idea of the spare loft tanks for a bath!
I agree with you that some books are easier to read than others or better written, but i think there are always little nuggets of information to be found about how people could react to catastrophes.
Last Light by Alex Scarrow was a good mainly UK based book which showed a number of areas where characters found themselves in difficulties. Without giving the plot away, the motorway service station bit is a part that always sticks in my mind!
Then in Jerico the old tv series, the town is running low on food and they see one of their friends, a farmer, has got a field of ripe corn. Previously friendly towns folk suddenly become very demanding. The changes in these personalities due to big changes in life are quite scary and perhaps part of our preps should be books on psychology!
Happyhacker

Post by Happyhacker »

A nice reply Bobble. I feel it too complicated to get into psychology, blows my mind. But it's a good idea to think about the types of people that you're likely to meet under these scenarios.

On the tank front is anyone tries it make doubly sure the loft floor is fully capable of taking the extra weight (I am lucky as the internal walls all go down to a reinforced concrete raft the whole house sits on so I just made sure both tanks bear down on the wall not the joists).

Is Jerico available anywhere?
bobble

Post by bobble »

Hi Happyhacker,
we saw it when it was on telly but i'm sure its probably on you tube now. Its about a small town in America called Jerico (Jericho?) and how the townsfolk all react after nukes airburst over north America. Their elecy goes off, the phones dont work, some motors stop working, planes crash and they see a mushroom cloud in the distance. As the main plot develops in the background, there are lots of sub plots showing how everything is affecting the different characters in the town. You see story lines for the mayor, the shopkeeper, farmer,etc and the pressures put on each of them as they try to "carry on as normal" even though "normal" has gone, for ever.
I think lack of information in this case would be a big deal, as how do you plan and re-establish a secure future and community if you dont know what really happened?
cheers bobble