Western Power Distribution leaflet

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
Zunzuncito

Western Power Distribution leaflet

Post by Zunzuncito »

Hi All,

I wasn't sure if this was the right section to post this in so apologies if not. Recently I received one of these through the post:

https://www.westernpower.co.uk/docs/Abo ... -2016.aspx

I have never before in all the different properties and locations around the country I've lived in received anything like this. So I was wondering if anyone has had one recently or before?

For people who are unprepared it's useful info - though the cynical part of me thinks if people are unpreppared about things like powercuts they've probably just chucked the leaflet away.
Brambles

Re: Western Power Distribution leaflet

Post by Brambles »

I wouldn't bother too much about it. They post them out every year. Good info though.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Never seen anything like it , were are on the PSR list as wife has a chronic illness, Although we are covered by Scottish and Southern Power distribution in our corner of Wiltshire.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

Never had anything like this either, and have lived all over the UK.

I can see it being useful for elderly or vulnerable/ill people, but for me, a power cut wouldn't be a huge issue, you don't need electricity to get you the three essentials (water, food, shelter) and other things like heat are easily improvised.

Most power cuts are only for a short time and longer ones usually happen in either remote areas or spells of bad weather, both can be prepped for without too much trouble.

I think the most worrying thing about power cuts these days is the dependence people have on very unessential things like facebook!
Capture.JPG
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

yorkshirewolf wrote:Never had anything like this either, and have lived all over the UK.

I can see it being useful for elderly or vulnerable/ill people, but for me, a power cut wouldn't be a huge issue, you don't need electricity to get you the three essentials (water, food, shelter) and other things like heat are easily improvised.

Most power cuts are only for a short time and longer ones usually happen in either remote areas or spells of bad weather, both can be prepped for without too much trouble.

I think the most worrying thing about power cuts these days is the dependence people have on very unessential things like facebook!
Capture.JPG
You raise a good point, with less power stations more of us are likely to be nearer the 'back of the queue' as it were. There's likely to be more wire between us and power stations so more scope for downtime. As you say, any prepper worth their salt will be able to deal with it but we're a pretty small percentage of the population I'd guess, that leaves quite a lot of people who won't have thought about what they would do if there was no wigglies coming down the wire.

Its not just stuff like facebook, I ended up giving the torch in my pocket to one of my dog walking pals last week, she's now on her own and doesn't even know where her fuse panel is and she doesn't like the dark. She now keeps it by her bed so its a start. We're so lucky to live in a society where a power cut is viewed as a disaster, things could definitely be a lot worse. While I wouldn't wish for a power cut, a wee bit of me almost does, so I can 'leap into action' and prove to Her Maj how clever I am to prep. There may be an element of smugness....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duLzswQsUJM