LDS Preparedness manual.

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
Jamesey1981

LDS Preparedness manual.

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Ok, so having done a search I know this has been posted before, but as it was last mentioned a couple of years ago I thought I'd pop this topic up for any newer members that don't yet know about it.
Some of you may know that the Mormons are required to prep, and hold a year's food supply for the entire household, and they've put together a manual on how to do so.
Word of warning, there is a few pages of religious text in their manual, but it also contains a huge amount of information that is very useful, so if you're happy to ignore or don't mind some religious stuff in amongst your useful info then it's well worth a look.
I'm linking to a free PDF download here, getting it from here won't require an email address like some of the sites offering a free download.
http://thesurvivalmom.com/wp-content/up ... Manual.pdf
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Stasher

Re: LDS Preparedness manual.

Post by Stasher »

That's fab, thank you - a little light bed time reading!
Knowledge is power
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Meant to post a thank you previously, it's a interesting read, I didn't find the religious stuff particularly noticeable to be honest, in fact it would have been informative if they had given more information on their particular religious reasons for being prepared.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Think it's a hangover from when they weren't particularly accepted, there have been efforts in the past to run the LDS out of town, pretty sure within living memory (although I could be wrong there), not going to go into details on the history or what I think the reasons for that are/were or may have been as I don't want to offend anyone, whether a member or anyone else, but that being the case, I don't blame them for being prepared since they have learned the value of it the hard way.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Bumping this thread, because it's been some seven years since it got traction.

The LDS Preparedness Manual is a Mormon guide to storing A Year's Worth of rations.

If you skip over the religious aspects, it has some useful info that we can apply to our own food security preparedness plans.

https://thesurvivalmom.com/wp-content/u ... Manual.pdf

Bear in mind it's a 2010 US document so it talks in Pounds, ounces, bushells etc. If I can find a current metric version, I'll post a link.

2012 version
https://archive.org/details/lds-prepare ... 0/mode/2up
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

And there's Jamesey's avatar, which I love ⭐

**coughs** sorry, downloading LDS manual now, I've just checked and my version states "5.03, Jan 1st, 2011".
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

2012 was the latest I found. It's not official LDS document and the LDS own website does have a lot on preparedness, but it's far too mired in religious stuff for me to link to it in good conscience.

Note, as well as using pounds and ounces, it uses gallons. They will be US gallons.

It's estimate of required daily calorific intake was 2300kCal from 25 ounces of food. I think the 2300 is a bit high for survival. I go with 2000. Also, when looking at ounces of dry rice or pasta, you can use far less about 3oz of dried pasta or rice makes up a large portion. It notes, quite rightly that oil is a great store of energy. Oddly it pushes honey. Granulated sugar is much cheaper and more convenient and lasts just as long (forever).
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:06 pm 2012 was the latest I found. It's not official LDS document and the LDS own website does have a lot on preparedness, but it's far too mired in religious stuff for me to link to it in good conscience.

Note, as well as using pounds and ounces, it uses gallons. They will be US gallons.

It's estimate of required daily calorific intake was 2300kCal from 25 ounces of food. I think the 2300 is a bit high for survival. I go with 2000. Also, when looking at ounces of dry rice or pasta, you can use far less about 3oz of dried pasta or rice makes up a large portion. It notes, quite rightly that oil is a great store of energy. Oddly it pushes honey. Granulated sugar is much cheaper and more convenient and lasts just as long (forever).
Oil varies a lot in how long it lasts. I looked it up. Olive oil and extra virgin olive oil lasts the longest - 2 to 3 years. Personally I rarely use any, so I only buy a small bottle and don't stock up until it's at least half used, as it will last me a long time. I normally use the 1 cal sprays.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:55 am Oil varies a lot in how long it lasts. I looked it up. Olive oil and extra virgin olive oil lasts the longest - 2 to 3 years. Personally I rarely use any, so I only buy a small bottle and don't stock up until it's at least half used, as it will last me a long time. I normally use the 1 cal sprays.
Unopened oil lasts me about five years. I'm currently using 2018 stock. It was a cheap brand oil when I bought it and I'm not sure if it's that cheapness or its age that makes it taste very slightly lower quality than the fresh Flora that we used to use. I can;t describe the poorer flavour. It's not rancid or nasty.
Olive oil visibly separates when exposed to low temperatures, but recombines when warm.

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:55 am Olive oil visibly separates when exposed to low temperatures, but recombines when warm.
Yeah I've noticed that in winter, perfectly ok to keep using.