Uk Dark: Am I Prepper

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
piglet

Uk Dark: Am I Prepper

Post by piglet »

If you haven't read it...or even heard of it..........

Just started reading the story, Based around a CME event.
Bit predictable so far.
From a UK viewpoint, rather than USA.

Can be found on Amazon for Kindle, or similar
ain't settlin'
junmist

Re: Uk Dark: Am I Prepper

Post by junmist »

Thanks just down loaded it
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
junmist

Post by junmist »

Well it was nice that it was uk based and not usa based but we couldn't get away from the gun mentality , the hero had a very covenant gun license it would have been much more interesting if he had had to think of ways to protect his home/family with out the guns. Then there was his other half who listen to his concerns and agreed with him :o Now most of you know that the family normally needs a bit of convincing about our mad hobby. The nice thing about this book is that it was a community based and not a i'm heading for the woods one. The author also touched on a few unpleasant subjects but not enough to put people off. A few things I would like to have seen from the woman's point of view as well but all in all not bad
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
piglet

Post by piglet »

I am led to understand that a second book is to be released shortly
ain't settlin'
redskies

Post by redskies »

I read this one a few months ago and enjoyed it. Dead South isn't bad either. And if you haven't read any of the Surviving the Evacuation books by Frank Tayell, I'd recommend those and all the other stuff he's written too :)
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

redskies wrote:I read this one a few months ago and enjoyed it. Dead South isn't bad either. And if you haven't read any of the Surviving the Evacuation books by Frank Tayell, I'd recommend those and all the other stuff he's written too :)
I second Frank Tayell, his new series Serious Crimes look to be very promising. and Surviving the Evacuation is excellent reading.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
redskies

Post by redskies »

Hamradioop wrote:
redskies wrote:I read this one a few months ago and enjoyed it. Dead South isn't bad either. And if you haven't read any of the Surviving the Evacuation books by Frank Tayell, I'd recommend those and all the other stuff he's written too :)
I second Frank Tayell, his new series Serious Crimes look to be very promising. and Surviving the Evacuation is excellent reading.

I loved Serious Crimes, and have been prodding at him on FB to write another. Ditto Work, Rest, Repeat, which I thought was excellent too. He's a really nice guy, and I like the way his mind works :)
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Frank Tayells new book is now available from Amazon for 99P. Counterfeit Conspiracy (Strike a Match Book 2) http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AZIYGO2/r ... _TE_M1T1DP
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
redskies

Post by redskies »

Hamradioop wrote:Frank Tayells new book is now available from Amazon for 99P. Counterfeit Conspiracy (Strike a Match Book 2) http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AZIYGO2/r ... _TE_M1T1DP

Downloaded it this morning, will start reading it in a bit, now I've finished all the Luke Duffy ones :)
SooBee

Post by SooBee »

piglet wrote:I am led to understand that a second book is to be released shortly

I have just finished both books and I feel that the subject is sensitively handled. It is a bit simplistic but covers a lot of distance and has some straightforward devices for holding the plot together. Key characters have personal links and help to maintain the willing suspension of disbelief. Humour prevents both the horror and the seeming unlikeliness of some parts of the plot from putting the reader off. The ability of the main character (the narrator) to digest the changes in his world helps to guide the reader through what in reality would be a maze of disorientation and fear and hard work.

Altogether a valiant effort to portray a scenario in genuinely British terms that we are usually guided through in American terms which never seem to quite fit us. A bit of a cliff-hanger at the end of the second book so I am waiting for Book 3 with baited breath!