Nuclear war survival skills

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
general_panic

Nuclear war survival skills

Post by general_panic »

Not sure if you guys have already seen this but it's another goody...

http://www.ki4u.com/nwss.pdf

Bit long but a lot of it is pictures and diagrams so don't be put off, it's fascinating stuff and some pretty priceless knowledge to have. You'll feel a lot more comfortable about a nuclear attack after reading this- It basically describes how you'll either be incinerated instantly, die slowly from radiation poisoning or... survive in your home dug fallout trench! Just make sure you have a spade or two handy...
yorkshirewolf

Re: Nuclear war survival skills

Post by yorkshirewolf »

A mate of mine used to be in the forces and worked in EOD, talking to him about the 'nuclear war' scenario, and his thoughts based on his knowledge were along the lines of "you're knackered, because even if you managed to survive the initial blast(S) what would there be to survive for?
Considering the devastation i've seen in films from the atom bombs dropped on Japan, which were pretty small (15/20 Kilotons) and compare that to the stuff available today which have gone up to 50,000 kilotons, I wouldn't even want to think about the devastation that could be done, and thats before you think about the fallout.

Personally, if i heard a three minute warning, i'd be running towards ground zero. I'd rather be incinerated instantly than to exist in the aftermath.

I'll always remember the quote:

"I do not know what weapons a third world war will be fought with, but world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones"

Edit:

This simulator is pretty cool: http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/ shows the blast radius, fallout, projected casualties etc...
kernewek

Post by kernewek »

I remember seeing maps back in the early 80s, when it seemed nuclear war was a real possibility, showing which areas of the UK would cop it. Is there any general thinking these days in terms of what might be safe areas?
general_panic

Post by general_panic »

It is entirely possible to survive Nuclear war (notice I did not say nuclear armageddon/winter) with the right attitude and preparations. How can we call ourselves preppers if everyone is so defeatist as soon as nukes are mentioned?

You CAN survive and escape, you just need to stay underground til the rads clear and then shift yourself somewhere that wasn't flattened. In Hiroshima the wood and mud bomb shelters, some as close as 300m to ground zero, survived the blast completely intact. More people we're killed by exploding windows, flash-fires and panic than were ever killed by radiation. As is outlined in the book- A bombs, by their nature of needing to be explosive, only contain extremely short-lived radiation that will have cleared to a 'safe' level in as little as two weeks!

So, in theory at least, if you've got all your preps underground with you you'd have plenty to keep you going while you wait for the rads to drop, plus enough to keep you going til you reach a safe zone. If you're real lucky your car was off during the EMP and the upholstery didn't burst into flames- you won't even have to walk to safety!

Heck, it might not work out, you might realise the entire country's been levelled and you've wasted your effort but just imagine if you did manage to survive- you'd have one hell of a story to tell your grandkids (even if they do end up with 2 heads... and tentacles :lol: )
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

general_panic wrote:It is entirely possible to survive Nuclear war (notice I did not say nuclear armageddon/winter) with the right attitude and preparations. How can we call ourselves preppers if everyone is so defeatist as soon as nukes are mentioned?
Oh I'm not defeatist, i'm a realist!

Based on what i know of nuclear weapons- todays hydrogen bombs as opposed to the low yield A-bombs, radiation sickness and exposure, the wonderful old Mutually Assured Destruction doctrine- so once one starts using nukes, all the others who have them would follow, and the probability of multiple nuclear strikes on most of the populated countries in the world, i seriously doubt there'd be much left!

Of course prepping for a one-off nuclear event, perhaps a terrorist attack rather than the superpowers going at it, is very sensible and something i prep for. and if people want to prep for a 'world' nuclear war, i say good luck to them.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

All well and good digging a trench. if you live on a hill.. .live on level ground and ground water will mean you drown.. dig down 2ft here and you hit water...

see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GJttnC8PoA

about 15 mins in..
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:All well and good digging a trench. if you live on a hill.. .live on level ground and ground water will mean you drown.. dig down 2ft here and you hit water...

see:

about 15 mins in..
Where my son lives if you dig two ft down you'd hit the flat downstairs. :D :D :D
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

general_panic wrote:It is entirely possible to survive Nuclear war (notice I did not say nuclear armageddon/winter) with the right attitude and preparations. How can we call ourselves preppers if everyone is so defeatist as soon as nukes are mentioned?

You CAN survive and escape, you just need to stay underground til the rads clear and then shift yourself somewhere that wasn't flattened. In Hiroshima the wood and mud bomb shelters, some as close as 300m to ground zero, survived the blast completely intact. More people we're killed by exploding windows, flash-fires and panic than were ever killed by radiation. As is outlined in the book- A bombs, by their nature of needing to be explosive, only contain extremely short-lived radiation that will have cleared to a 'safe' level in as little as two weeks!

So, in theory at least, if you've got all your preps underground with you you'd have plenty to keep you going while you wait for the rads to drop, plus enough to keep you going til you reach a safe zone. If you're real lucky your car was off during the EMP and the upholstery didn't burst into flames- you won't even have to walk to safety!

Heck, it might not work out, you might realise the entire country's been levelled and you've wasted your effort but just imagine if you did manage to survive- you'd have one hell of a story to tell your grandkids (even if they do end up with 2 heads... and tentacles :lol: )

Good luck to you mate, I've no plans to dig a bunker in my back garden, the missus would go nuts. Colour me defeatist. :(
general_panic

Post by general_panic »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:All well and good digging a trench. if you live on a hill.. .live on level ground and ground water will mean you drown.. dig down 2ft here and you hit water...

see:

about 15 mins in..
Hehe, a thing I know all too well from working in construction for about 10 years... When I started out as a labourer I was given a job where we couldn't get the digger to where we needed to do the foundations for an extension (only access was an alleyway about 4' wide) so the boss handed me a shovel, marked it out for me and told me he wanted it 8ft deep by the end of the day. Hit the water table at about 4ft. The rest was... interesting. Thank god it was the middle of summer! The book does reccomend doing it in a dry, elevated area. I'm fortunate enough to live right on top of a hill so I kinda take it for granted these days!
Last edited by general_panic on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
general_panic

Post by general_panic »

Deeps wrote: Good luck to you mate, I've no plans to dig a bunker in my back garden, the missus would go nuts. Colour me defeatist. :(
Hehe, I gotta find something to do when i'm not working or drunk... :D
Last edited by general_panic on Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.