Nuclear war survival skills

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
general_panic

Re: Nuclear war survival skills

Post by general_panic »

Just found this one;
Square Leg field exercise- Part of the exercise involved a mock nuclear attack on the British Isles. It was assumed that 131 nuclear weapons would fall on Britain with a total yield of 205 megatons (69 ground burst; 62 air burst)with yields of 500kt to 3mt

Mortality was estimated at 29 million (53 percent of the population); serious injuries at 7 million (12 percent); short-term survivors at 19 million (35 percent).

Square Leg was criticised for a number of reasons: the weapons used were exclusively in the high-yield megaton range—with an average of 1.5 megatons per bomb—whereas a realistic attack based on known Soviet capabilities would have seen mixed weapons yields, including many missile-based warheads in the low hundred kiloton range.

And also found;

The 2010 Strategic Defence and Security Review set out that in the future each submarine would be armed with 8 missiles and a maximum of 40 warheads.

Most of the warheads have a yield of 80–100 kilotons, although some missiles may be armed with a single low-yield nuclear warhead of 10–15 kilotons. (In fact some are as low as 0.5-1.5 kt if they choose not to activate the internal booster)

So like I've been saying, these 25/50mt beasts are tests, they are too impractical and expensive to build and maintain. Nearly all arsenals are made up of low-yield types these days. There might be the odd big one about but nobody's going to waste it on little old us... :)
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

seems a lot on here never heard of Hiroshima and the survivors.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Hope that any potential adversary has updated their targets. There's been so many bases, airfields, Govt. HQs etc. shut down over the last 25+ years there's a lot less to hit. Maybe not from a population target point of view though...
BadgerSE

Post by BadgerSE »

Ultimately no-one knows what a nuke war is going to look like - the world has never seen one!

I have mixed views on nuclear war. Even in this technological based world we are starting to live in I am undecided if it's going to be the traditional thought of nuke war where it's a MAD based war or if it will be smaller, more specifically targetted smaller yeild strikes.

From my understanding (somewhere over the years) I was told that the US, UK, Russia, Germany and France all have nukes pre-targetted at key strategic locations across the globe and if a nuke war was to ever start it was basically a fire and forget scenario.

Either way it wont be pretty. That can gaurenteed.
“Tough times don't last, tough people do, remember?”

Area 3
bungee

Post by bungee »

I'm not sure if this has been posted on here before?
Bunkai obviously uses it but for those of you who may not of seen it before here's a link to Nukemap.
Have instructional fun simulating the apocalypse, work out where to survive and become a wasteland warrior or find the spot to stand with the maximum potential for kissing your ass goodbye...

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/
" those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it. To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”
― Douglas Adams
BadgerSE

Post by BadgerSE »

jansman wrote:Hmmm. No one knows how they will react until a situation occurs. I suspect, general panic, that you are quite a young person? I am verging ( chronologically at least!) on being an old( ish) man. My survival instinct is quite intact. I was brought up, like many here, in the Cold War era. Add that to military training in that subject, and it colours your thinking.

Look up the film 'Threads'. This was a gritty film from the early 80's, set in Sheffield. I guess you may find it on you tube. That may make you understand the 'lack' of survival instinct where Nukes are concerned.
I have watched this myself some years ago.. Excellent for it's time and worth watching for those intrigued about nuclear war:- albeit over 30 years old, this really does bring home the harsh reality of what could happen given a real nuclear war. Powerful stuff.

And yea +1 on nukemap. Funny, as it is actually interesting to create your own nuke scenarios.
“Tough times don't last, tough people do, remember?”

Area 3
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

Hamradioop wrote:seems a lot on here never heard of Hiroshima and the survivors.
Totally incomporable and delivery system comparted to newer flavours.
And the Hiroshima dead?
Captain Darling

Post by Captain Darling »

I'm watching Threads now, its pretty grim and almost exactly what I imagine it would be like for real. Still got an hour and I'm not sure I really want to watch all tbh.

Got olit on DVD from Amazon long with When the Wind Blows and Protect and Survive.

I'm sure I'll sleep well tonight :-S.
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.