Dystopian fiction.

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
preparedsurrey

Re: Dystopian fiction.

Post by preparedsurrey »

Just read the reviews for "One year after" sounds a lot like the theme running though the later books of the A American Survivalist series. Off to see if it's available as an audiobook
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
mongrel

going home

Post by mongrel »

Hi
To be blunt "Going Home" is a piece of pro-gun right wing American Christan propaganda with dialogue straight from a 1950's John Wayne movie. the characters are stereotypes reinforcing a already deluded readership it to believing what the falsely believe is true.

The US is filled with the highest level of obese people anywhere in the western world, 20% of the adult population are on prescription drugs, the majority of guns are carried by people who would be as much danger to themselves and family as anybody else. None of those facts are reflected in the book. it's a dangerous mirage, prepping is about preparedness, a well stocked store cupboard and self sufficiency where possible, its not about owning a rambo knife and shooting people!

Ok, rant over! but really, a lot of the US stuff is REALLY bad, as I said it's like a 1950's movie which never was like that even then.
i11matic1795

Re: going home

Post by i11matic1795 »

mongrel wrote:Hi
To be blunt "Going Home" is a piece of pro-gun right wing American Christan propaganda with dialogue straight from a 1950's John Wayne movie. the characters are stereotypes reinforcing a already deluded readership it to believing what the falsely believe is true.

The US is filled with the highest level of obese people anywhere in the western world, 20% of the adult population are on prescription drugs, the majority of guns are carried by people who would be as much danger to themselves and family as anybody else. None of those facts are reflected in the book. it's a dangerous mirage, prepping is about preparedness, a well stocked store cupboard and self sufficiency where possible, its not about owning a rambo knife and shooting people!

Ok, rant over! but really, a lot of the US stuff is REALLY bad, as I said it's like a 1950's movie which never was like that even then.

Entertaining though... I don't read these books expecting to learn anything :lol:
mongrel

Post by mongrel »

i11matic1795 wrote:

Entertaining though... I don't read these books expecting to learn anything :lol:

You would not be disappointed then, I'd love to read a really well written entertaining book based on the same subject, without the God /right-wing/pro-gun/heterosexual/sexist BS the real world is far more interesting and challenging I stopped reading fairy stories years ago
Mongrel
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Oh and by the way - caution spoiler alert -

The author really really doesn't like home land security....and why does his solar set up and all the electrics work on his truck when everything else has been knackered?

I doubt the mass market would buy a really realistic book to be honest, most people choosing a fiction book do it to escape to another reality even if only for a little while. However if you could interest a TV company into turning it into a documentary you would probably do quite well
tc556guy

Post by tc556guy »

So tell us how, in a post-apocalyptic world, you would defend yourself from those who intend to cause you harm?
And please don't say that you'd "just hide"
When order breaks down those who are prepared to project force in defense of themselves or others will be the ones most likely to live.
The events in Paris a few days ago illustrate what happens when the general population has no ready means by which to defend themselves.

Do some people misuse firearms? Absolutely, that is true now and it would be true in a PAW scenario.
That's the risk you take in a free society
While society is still functioning, it then becomes societies job to hold those responsible for such mis-use accountable.

As for the Christian thing, the fact remains that much of the US prep movement consists of devout people who skew towards the conservative end of the political spectrum, and that includes religious beliefs. Is it true for everyone in the prep community? No. But its a significant percentage and with the current trend towards self-publishing PAW fiction, you'll tend to see that reflected in what is marketed to the US prep community.

As for the other stuff you posted about US society, look, we could make a whole bunch of generalizations about UK society as well.
How about we skip the trans-Atlantic bashing and concentrate on positive messages?
*My views discussed on this forum are personal opinion and do not constitute information released in an official capacity*
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

The Survivalist by Jerry Ahern, I got hooked on these in the WRVS at Leconfield I managed to collect almost all of them at one point.
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Smudge wrote:The Survivalist by Jerry Ahern, I got hooked on these in the WRVS at Leconfield I managed to collect almost all of them at one point.

Got them on Audio books. Blast from my past. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Jinny

Post by Jinny »

I'd not heard of ' Lucifer's Hammer' but have just put it on my Kindle. I can't wait to start it.
Night all! ;)
A pound of prevention equals 10 pounds of cure :D
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Is that the one with the attractive Russian? agent a bug out location in a mountain cave and hibernating into the future? I think I have the first 10 books as audio CD's