Dystopian fiction.

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
Drakie79

Dystopian fiction.

Post by Drakie79 »

Any suggestions on some good dystopian/disaster fiction, literature or manga, with a mature and bloody leaning?I find myself thinking back to these manga series and realise just how informative some were.
For my suggestion I recommend Suicide Island. The basic story involves an island where those who have attempted suicide and failed are shipped. The protagonist like the rest is left to fend for himself against nature and man. Involves a lot that prompted myself into thinking over lost basic skills.
featherstick

Re: Dystopian fiction.

Post by featherstick »

It's got to be Lucifer's Hammer, the classic prepper novel (and manual!)
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Larry Niven's other prepper novel is Fallen Angels, its set in a slightly alternative history, and, erm, its about science fiction fans - but there's a lot of prepping in that there book :mrgreen:

I've just been recommended to read Flood, by Richard Doyle (used on Amazon, £2.81 :) ) very factually based novel, not adventure exactly, but gripping.

Have you read David Crossley's novel, There Falls No Shadow?
i11matic1795

Post by i11matic1795 »

I'm currently reading through A. American's Survivalist series, they're a good read if you're into prepper/survivalist stories in modern times, theres a bit of tactical talk with weapons etc but nothing silly.
I read these after Patriots (A book I couldn't finish, awful!), the characters are better developed and the story is a lot more interesting, with some really surprising moments.

Going Home, the first of the series, is a great read, there's the odd spelling mistake or grammatical error but I find it's easy to overlook for the fun of the story, book 2 is possibly better :)
Drakie79

Post by Drakie79 »

Thanks for the suggestions, seems like I will be on ebay later, think I will start with Lucifer's Hammer.
Lanky Yankee

Post by Lanky Yankee »

I have Kindle ultimate and can get loads of dystopia and other books for about £8/mo. I've read loads of books because of it. I rarely pay for books now but occasionally I find some i really want.

Lights out by David Crawford is a good EMP senario and focuses on community. Almost as good as One Second After.

Darrell Maloney has several different senarios (EMP, Astroid impact) but his common theme at the start is the main characters have loads of money and can buy everything we would want and more. He does give you some things to think about.

Luke Duffy has some good zombie apocalypse but he can be a bit wordy.

James N Cook also has a good zombie apocolypse series.

I still need to get a copy of Lucifer's Hammer and read it as it seems to be a core requirement by preppers around the world.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Lanky Yankee wrote:I have Kindle ultimate and can get loads of dystopia and other books for about £8/mo. I've read loads of books because of it. I rarely pay for books now but occasionally I find some i really want.

Lights out by David Crawford is a good EMP senario and focuses on community. Almost as good as One Second After.

Darrell Maloney has several different senarios (EMP, Astroid impact) but his common theme at the start is [b]the main characters have loads of mo ... about.[/b]

Luke Duffy has some good zombie apocalypse but he can be a bit wordy.

James N Cook also has a good zombie apocolypse series.

I still need to get a copy of Lucifer's Hammer and read it as it seems to be a core requirement by preppers around the world.
Isn't this the whole point of being a prepper ? We might not have loads of money but thinking ahead should save us that last minute max-out on the credit card. Most of us would struggle to get the hollowed out volcano (with liquid hot magma) underground layer but having the gumption to put stuff by and be ready for 'something' is our raison d'etre. It might not be enough or the 'space lurgy' might get us but we do what we can. Money definitely gives you options.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

I can recommend the "Wool" trilogy, couldn't put them down and read one after the other.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Lanky Yankee wrote: I still need to get a copy of Lucifer's Hammer and read it as it seems to be a core requirement by preppers around the world.
It's where it all started for me, I was about 14, started preparing emergency rations and first aid kits after I read it!
filsgreen

Post by filsgreen »

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I've got Flood and Going Home coming today via Amazon. £5.62 for them both, not bad eh?

Phil