Survivors, BBC series 1975

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
filsgreen

Survivors, BBC series 1975

Post by filsgreen »

This series has been previously mentioned on the forum, which brought me to watch it. I must have watched it in 1975, but I couldn't remember it. I found it on Amazon for £20, but being the tightwad that I am I located it on YouTube. Here is the synopsis.

'Survivors' created by Terry Nation is a British TV series broadcast from 1975-1977. An accident at a bio lab unleashes a deadly virus that kills 99% of the human population. The aftermath leaves few survivors and a world that is thrust back to a pre industries period. The series centres on a group of survivors who come together shortly after the pandemic and learn to survive in the aftermath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak1SrFG ... 0B08F87017

Although it is in small segments, it's well worth a watch; I'm on series two, episode five. I've posted it under educational material, because although there is not much information on how to survive, it does present moral and ethical situations that I certainly had not thought of. I suppose you could pick holes in it, but I took it for what it is, primarily entertainment.

Phil
Deeps

Re: Survivors, BBC series 1975

Post by Deeps »

I remembered it from childhood and bought it off Amazon a few years back. As you say, its primarily entertainment but it does toss up some interesting situations. Its also got the crappest pack of wild dogs ever assembled. :lol: It was also frightfully classist I seem to mind, a product of its time of course but I enjoyed it, I should probably watch it again.
Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Deeps wrote:I remembered it from childhood and bought it off Amazon a few years back. As you say, its primarily entertainment but it does toss up some interesting situations. Its also got the crappest pack of wild dogs ever assembled. :lol: It was also frightfully classist I seem to mind, a product of its time of course but I enjoyed it, I should probably watch it again.
It was certainly classist, after two or three episodes you just knew that any new characters that appeared with any sort of working class or regional accents were either no good bad guys or just incompetent. Like you say a product of the times but entertaining none the less.
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

Just my opinion:

The original series is brilliant, I watched it online then bought the DVD box set and have watched it several times since. The remake is a poor imitation, entertaining enough in it's own right but doesn't hold a candle to the original.

The book is good with a few twists and turns I didn't see coming ;)
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
tigs

Post by tigs »

It was shown on BBC 3 last year they also ran the 70s version of the triffids so try iPlayer
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
greyman

Post by greyman »

Brilliant series
Downloaded years ago.
Another one to look out for is The last train.
The-Mendologist

Post by The-Mendologist »

greyman wrote:Brilliant series
Downloaded years ago.
Another one to look out for is The last train.

The last train.

Very good, see it when it first came out, recommend a watch of it if you can find it.
Vespa

Post by Vespa »

I quite enjoyed The Last Train also.

https://www.youtube.com/user/0mni1
greyman

Post by greyman »

Cheers for the link vespa
Worth a rewatch
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I've not heard of 'The Last Train', I must have been away when it was on. Up to ep 5 on youtube now, enjoying it though, not quite figured out why the copper and the office worker are still wearing their ties though ?????

Edit to add, just finished watching it, a bit disappointed with the last one, I'll not do a 'spoiler' but was hoping for more.