Best foraging books

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
CynicalSurvival

Best foraging books

Post by CynicalSurvival »

Hi, I wonder if anyone can recommend their best books on foraging.

Reviews that I have looked at so far tend to be mixed, with a lot of complaints about a lack of decent pictures. I also need something that is suitable for the UK.

Thanks!
The last taboo is the myth of civilisation. It is built upon the stories we have constructed about our genius, our indestructibility, our manifest destiny as a chosen species. - The Dark Mountain Project Manifesto http://dark-mountain.net/about/manifesto/
Brambles

Re: Best foraging books

Post by Brambles »

My go-to books are Food for free by Richard Mabey. The book and the Collins Gem version work well together. The Book has good quality line drawings and bags of info, the Gem version has photos, so it's the best of both.
There are in depth descriptions, where to find it, how to cook it and also what it tastes like.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

The Thrifty Forager, by Alys Fowler, is completely UK based - it may be a bit full of wafty hippiedom, but she started out on Gardener's World, she knows her stuff. Like *any* other book these days, I wouldn't pay full price for it :)
jansman

Post by jansman »

For me it is 'Wild Food' by Roger Phillips. It is an old one, but it is UK and the photos are great. It is also set out in a monthly order.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Arzosah wrote:The Thrifty Forager, by Alys Fowler, is completely UK based - it may be a bit full of wafty hippiedom, but she started out on Gardener's World, she knows her stuff. Like *any* other book these days, I wouldn't pay full price for it :)

It's a nice book, I agree, (and I quite like the waftiness, I have to say). Try the library. I like her emphasis on looking at council plantings and car parks and so on, rather than deep countryside.
CynicalSurvival

Cool, many thanks for those suggestions :)
The last taboo is the myth of civilisation. It is built upon the stories we have constructed about our genius, our indestructibility, our manifest destiny as a chosen species. - The Dark Mountain Project Manifesto http://dark-mountain.net/about/manifesto/
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Got 'Food for Free' (the Gem version) and 'The Thrifty Forager' as well as quite a few fungi books (I'll have a check and list a couple in the next day or so)

F4F is a great little field book and until recently was in my EDC bag

Ms Fowler's book is the one to have for urban or suburban foraging, who knew just how much food the town council is growing :lol:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Back again.

Hamlyn Guide, "Mushrooms & Toadstools of Britain and Northern Europe" by Geoffrey Kibby
(ISBN 978-0-7537-2530-6)
Really easy to use field key and has colour illustrations to make the key features clearer.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
CynicalSurvival

'The Thrifty Forager' looks great as do her gardening books - cheers :)
harrybrown

Post by harrybrown »

"food for free" (collins gem pocket size) has been a good book for me, good pictures & short simple info.
I also have "Bartrams encyclopedia of herbal medicine", again really good detailed info, though no pictures which isnt a major issue

Hope this helps
"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the concequences of ignoring reality." ~ Ayn Rand.