Cookery

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
diamond lil

Cookery

Post by diamond lil »

Maybe only of interest to the ladies - but you never know. I bought a book on Amazon last week that is awesome, am really enjoying it.
"Cookery and Kitchen Book for slender purses" written by Emelie Waller, first published in 1935. How to run a house on 27/6 a week :mrgreen: and feed your family and menfolk well! Full of commonsense hints on how to store food, cook it, find it.
jansman

Re: Cookery

Post by jansman »

Not only of interest to the Women. I will have a look at that. Thanks.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

It's very commonsense I like it. And it has real food in it lol. And btw Jansman your turnips are delicious, I've had 3 so far :mrgreen: Quite wee but cook in ten minutes, so tender.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Unfortunately my purse is too slender to afford the 18 quid. :(
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I got it for £6.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

diamond lil wrote:I got it for £6.
Fair one, the link was asking for 18. I'm chief cook and bottle washer in Casa Deeps so always looking for options. I'm a pretty decent cook (although I say it myself :lol: ) but always open to new ideas. If its a 30's book then I'd appreciate the thrift side of it but I'm a 'world food' kind of a cat, I'm big into cooking Italian, Chinese and especially Indian so I guess there aren't many recipes I would use.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

No, it's very much old-fashioned food, which is why I like it. :mrgreen:
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote:It's very commonsense I like it. And it has real food in it lol. And btw Jansman your turnips are delicious, I've had 3 so far :mrgreen: Quite wee but cook in ten minutes, so tender.
That is great. Mine are racing away too!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Sounds like a great idea to get some inspiration on how to do it, but you can also shop around and use a calculator.
When I was even more skint than I am now, I did usually find away to eat. Ok i did the occasional day without food, but if things were really bad I had things like rice cooked up and with a gravy sauce on it and that's all. Sure it lacked all nutritional value, but at least I was eating and I was keeping my cost of living down.
After that i discovered the benefits of lentils and the fact that 2Kg of lentils could be purchased for £3 and I also learned about sprouting, so i had a diet that was mainly lentils and rice with the sprouted lentils as my "microgreens".
It was still a nutritionally deficient diet and at that time the idea of spending £1 on a bag of spinach was out of the question. But its true, you can feed yourself on very little, but it can make you ill through
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks