Surviving The Economic Collapse

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
Post Reply
jansman
Posts: 7054
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Surviving The Economic Collapse

Post by jansman » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:01 pm

... By Fernando 'Ferfal' Aguirre. This is a book about the collapse of the economy in Argentina in December 2001. The author I followed back in 2002 when he was an active member of the American forum 'Frugals Squirrels' (as was I). This book is a culmination of the subjects covered by many of his posts back then.
As you may remember, the collapse was real and prolonged, and this fellow lived through it. As economic strife is my own personal concern I found the book very interesting, particularly as Argentina is not a third world country. In fact it was among the wealthiest countries in the world in the 19 th and 20th centuries.
The book does have certain irrelevant chapters,(as far as the UK is concerned) such as firearms , which are more freely available there, as in the rest of South America. However, he does cover such things as bartering after the collapse. Think that is what we will all be doing? This will blow that myth into space! Remember, this chap was there. I will not say any more, as you may wish to read it yourself. If the Economy and it's fragility concern you from the prepping angle then I can recommend this book.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Hamradioop
Posts: 2089
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:21 am
Location: Area 1: north wessex

Re: Surviving The Economic Collapse

Post by Hamradioop » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:10 am

frugal squirrels had a good fiction section until it was removed without notice by the site owner. A lot of people lost there work as they foolishly failed to back up there work. Do you still frequent it Jansman?
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.

jansman
Posts: 7054
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: Surviving The Economic Collapse

Post by jansman » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:37 pm

Hamradioop wrote:frugal squirrels had a good fiction section until it was removed without notice by the site owner. A lot of people lost there work as they foolishly failed to back up there work. Do you still frequent it Jansman?
I do not go so often. I dislike the Brit bashingTBH. The Americans have a habit of telling us how we are under the 'jackboot' as we do not all own guns as easily as they. They live in the 'Land of The Free'etc. ... But many American areas are not allowed water butts/unkempt gardens/ poultry or even vegetable gardens!
But I digress!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Stasher
Posts: 568
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:03 pm
Location: Area 1

Re: Surviving The Economic Collapse

Post by Stasher » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:42 pm

jansman wrote:
Hamradioop wrote:frugal squirrels had a good fiction section until it was removed without notice by the site owner. A lot of people lost there work as they foolishly failed to back up there work. Do you still frequent it Jansman?
I do not go so often. I dislike the Brit bashingTBH. The Americans have a habit of telling us how we are under the 'jackboot' as we do not all own guns as easily as they. They live in the 'Land of The Free'etc. ... But many American areas are not allowed water butts/unkempt gardens/ poultry or even vegetable gardens!
But I digress!
Do wot? :o

I know this is waaaaaay off topic, but please, do go on
Knowledge is power

jansman
Posts: 7054
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: Surviving The Economic Collapse

Post by jansman » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:23 pm

They have 'Zoning' laws. A bit like our Council byelaws, or even planning permission. Aparrently it is one reason why the suburbs all have neat mown and green lawns. California is in drought now, and the authorities have said grass watering will save at least 30% water! But even though they are in drought, they are not allowed to collect water from their own roofs!!!!!

Anyhow. Back on topic. :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Hamradioop
Posts: 2089
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:21 am
Location: Area 1: north wessex

Re: Surviving The Economic Collapse

Post by Hamradioop » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:05 am

jansman wrote:They have 'Zoning' laws. A bit like our Council byelaws, or even planning permission. Aparrently it is one reason why the suburbs all have neat mown and green lawns. California is in drought now, and the authorities have said grass watering will save at least 30% water! But even though they are in drought, they are not allowed to collect water from their own roofs!!!!!eg in ther

Anyhow. Back on topic. :lol:
In some areas people have jot in to a lot of trouble for growing Veg in their front Garden. To be honest the only thing that seems to be easier over there is obtaining Firearms in some states and to be honest it is not that hard over here.

Anyhow. Back on topic.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.

Post Reply