Has anyone read 'Station Eleven'

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
mushroom

Has anyone read 'Station Eleven'

Post by mushroom »

This is a new novel published in Jan this year. Has rave reviews... just discovered it as people (non-preppers) were raving about it on my Twitter feed. Supposed to be more literary and well written than a lot of post-apocalyptic fiction. Anybody read it??
Hamradioop

Re: Has anyone read 'Station Eleven'

Post by Hamradioop »

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
piglet

Post by piglet »

Reading it at the moment...about 25% in, so far.
Quite enjoying it....More so than previously read books of a similar theme like 'one second after' which I didn't enjoy.

Slow and gentle up to this point, much of it about people and their histories prior to the event.
ain't settlin'
piglet

Post by piglet »

Yesterday I finished reading the book; Station eleven.
Excuse me if I make a hash of this but I have never been much at good at explanings things.

But, without giving too much away........

I wasnt sure what to expect from it as I have been dissapointed by many stories that depict the end of civilisation.
But this time I found a book that I really did enjoy. It could be said, that it loosely revolves around the idea of '6 degrees of seperation' ... set in both a pre, and very post pandemic world.

With one very small exception, there are no references to prepper or survivalist scenarios, In fact I would suggest that each and every one of the people in the story were anything but preppers.

It avoids going into any real detail of how people managed after the first few weeks/months when the essentials ran out, and in fact leaves a large period of time almost unmentioned.
The story moves back and forth through time, introducing you to the history of different characters and how those that survived the pandemic, came to be where they are, and how they live in the present, 'post' event.
I suppose in a way, its possibly how the 'Survivors' series may have ended up it if the series had spanned decades.

This is just a little bit 'Mad Max' but really, quite a bit more 'Seeking a friend for the end of the world', in its general feel.

*note*
For those who prefer real books rather than electronic.....Can be found in Tesco's under their two for £7 offer
Last edited by piglet on Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ain't settlin'
CynicalSurvival

Post by CynicalSurvival »

Sounds great.. I am about to take a short holiday so this will be my holiday reading !
The last taboo is the myth of civilisation. It is built upon the stories we have constructed about our genius, our indestructibility, our manifest destiny as a chosen species. - The Dark Mountain Project Manifesto http://dark-mountain.net/about/manifesto/
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

Thanks for the review, Piglet... I think I'll head on over to Amazon!
JSurvive

Post by JSurvive »

I really enjoyed this book! Mandel is clearly a talented writer, I wouldn't say it gives much in terms of tips for survival so only read it for leisure!
Area 3
CynicalSurvival

Post by CynicalSurvival »

Just to say - I did buy it and read it. I found it a really good novel to read, although it not in my view a very likely scenario!
The last taboo is the myth of civilisation. It is built upon the stories we have constructed about our genius, our indestructibility, our manifest destiny as a chosen species. - The Dark Mountain Project Manifesto http://dark-mountain.net/about/manifesto/
piglet

Post by piglet »

An old thread.
But they have made a TV series based on this book.
ain't settlin'
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I'm just re-reading it at the moment, I can't remember how it ends :shock: but it's very, very good. It's no spoiler to stay there are several viewpoints, and it moves about to before, during and after the catastrophe. There are links between the people portrayed, most of their stories gradually come together. It's not survivalist, but 20 years after It Happened, there's a convention that when you kill someone, you get a knife tattoo - one of the main female protagonists, a child actress before the event, has a few. It's really impressive.