Charity shops

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
DarkArcher777

Charity shops

Post by DarkArcher777 »

I found a copy of Ray Mears essential bushcraft book in my local charity shop for a pound now i cant keep out of charity shops in the hope of finding some more gems. Speaking of gems hopefully i'll find some of the collins ones in there too. :) :geek:
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, Give a man religion and he will starve to death waiting for God to feed him.

Why are stupid people so fertile?
moocher

Re: Charity shops

Post by moocher »

DarkArcher777 wrote:I found a copy of Ray Mears essential bushcraft book in my local charity shop for a pound now i cant keep out of charity shops in the hope of finding some more gems. Speaking of gems hopefully i'll find some of the collins ones in there too. :) :geek:
I paid £2.50 for one for my boy :lol:
But you can get some good ones,
I've had a James Wong book,urban farming,first aid,herbal books etc
And quite often see cookery,rural skills and healing books
Waterbaby

Post by Waterbaby »

I tend to look for specific books -knots and rope techniques,or natural remedies,,as examples.

Lots of books on eco/sustainable/green living can be useful,and seem to turn up in charity shops too
DarkArcher777

Post by DarkArcher777 »

I often wonder how people can get rid of such interesting books but read the absolute trip they publish these days that inevitably get turned in to movies. But back to the point, i have found so many good books in charity shops i cant bring myself to pay the prices on amazon or waterstones. If i come across any collins gem i'll try to get them up here in PDF format.

Dark Archer
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, Give a man religion and he will starve to death waiting for God to feed him.

jansman

Post by jansman »

I have picked up a couple of cracking books on rabbit keeping in the past. My best find was a full set of woodland camo waterproofs. Perfect for fishing.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
DarkArcher777

Post by DarkArcher777 »

there was a complete set of 90 pattern PLCE webbing in my local shop but it was gone before i had the chance to get it. You never know whats gona turn up

nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Thats what they are there for, all the cheap shops, the budget shops, ebay and the like. Know what you are interested in and go into them with what you are interested in at that time at the forefront of your mind and its amazing how ,much more you notice
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Best buy was a Culpeppers herbal for 20p, also a complete medical encyclopedia giving both traditional and alternative remedies for £1, loads of herbal books and diy from woodwork to knitting mostly for 50p - £1.

The only problem is I have to avoid going in too often as I'm a sucker for books and have long filled up spaces on shelves and now have several boxes of books I can't quite bring myself to part with (I do often reread them, which is my excuse)
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I've had some cracking bargains over the years.
Notably the Readers Digest Repair Manual-50p Readers Digest Gardening-50p. Numerous pairs of curtains for under a fiver a pair. Oh and a Berghaus jacket for £1.50!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

I got the super chunky wool for my sisters birthday hat from a charity shop. It was good quality stuff too.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks