European Economic Collapse

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
xfilion

European Economic Collapse

Post by xfilion »

For quite a while I have listened to TED talks, which are short lectures on every subject imaginable, and they're free. One of the speakers I constantly return to as I admire him greatly is Juan Enriquez. He is a futurist and has worked in biotechnology. Several of his lectures focus on the evolution of mankind and economics, he also brings a lot of humour into his talks.

But what has this to do with prepping? One of the possible scenarios where SHF is economic collapse. I found this lecture given last year where Juan puts forward a very dark future for Europe. I urge you to watch this to the end as he makes a lot of sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpUV4BRqkf0

Watch his other lectures on TEd or You Tube.

I find him to be one of the most important people walking the planet today who brings a scalpel like analyse to the way the world is not working. Although it may not seem to be "Prepping", the subject of financial collapse is fast becoming something that we all should begin to take more interest in and be prepared for.
Last edited by xfilion on Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
hobo

Re: European Economic Collapse

Post by hobo »

Thanks X. I'll certainly watch this.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Interesting video. However I feel a bit uneasy about a genetically modified future for some reason.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
xfilion

Post by xfilion »

The genetically modified world is already here. I watched a science programme where goats were modified to produce milk which contained spiders web. They also grow body parts using stem cells. So the world Juan describes is already fact.

I was taken with his analyses on the state of Europe and the undisclosed debts of individual countries.

Europe is on that unstable seesaw economically and there isn't anyone who wants to step up and offer a solution. And even if the UK were to step away from Europe it would still not be immune from the fall out.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

xfilion wrote:there isn't anyone who wants to step up and offer a solution. And even if the UK were to step away from Europe it would still not be immune from the fall out.
There are those who offer solutions but our governments and a large proportion of the population cannot conceive of anything other than the BAU economic systems we have and " alternatives" or "new ideas" rarely make the mainstream media. You're right when you say leaving Europe wouldn't insulate us totally from a collapse , if the whole of the EU were to go that way it would almost certainly affect the global economic system.
As has been mentioned elsewhere try to become self reliant , grow as much as you can , pay of debts , and in general try to distant oneself from the fallout as much as possible is the sensible course of action for those who prepare.
metatron

Post by metatron »

I tend to disregard anything from people that refer to themselves as futurists, making up streams of BS from connecting buzzwords from journals/papers. The only thing I've seen of late come out about the future which was alarmist but plausible, was the growing divide between the haves and have nots, and that if something isn't done to reduce the divide, roits are likely to happen.
redskies

Post by redskies »

The current system is ever more unsustainable. Out of the EU would be better, but not by a great deal. Just be very grateful we said no thanks to the Euro!
junmist

Post by junmist »

I've just discovered the TED talks I love Donald Sadoway's The missing link in renewable energy where he has designed a new type of battery for solar and wind technology I just hope he gets it off the ground
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle