Recommended Apps?

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
hobo

Recommended Apps?

Post by hobo »

Have you found a great prepper app?

Please share it!

I'll start!
British Red Cross First Aid App for iPad/iPhone.
Free.
5 stars
Really clear and concise. I refer to it often to remind me about a first aid course I did with them 2 years ago.
Mr R

Re: Recommended Apps?

Post by Mr R »

The Draper Tools app. Marvellous! :lol:

Being old fashioned, I don't fully trust my tablet and certainly would not feel comfortable having to rely on it, particularly if I was out and about (a type of app that illustrates well why I am so sceptical, are the numerous 'compass apps', which never show the same readings as my compass).

I do however use some apps when preparing for a day out. For example, I recently bought a new OS map which you can then download onto your Android device. Useful for planning.

I will have a look on my tablet tomorrow, to see what is installed and report back
greyman

Post by greyman »

Wild edibles is OK
A bit yankee'fied ( think I just invented a word)
Google it,free full version available if you look in the right place
Any of the American army survival manuals,loads to choose from but all basically the same.
Mr R

Post by Mr R »

Hobo,

Following on from my last message, I agree that the Red Cross app is useful but, like you, only for refreshing my memory and I think that this is true of all of the apps that I will mention. Obviously, we are all well aware that without electricity computers, smartphones, tablets etc. are redundant, so the list, below, is geared to your question about preparation and most certainly not towards survival. Unless the app in question has an option to download the information to the device, or SD card, I find it of little use when I am in the middle of nowhere, without WiFI! Furthermore, I have found many of the 'reference' apps (plant / fungi identification etc.) are riddled with advertisements and have poor navigation and that most map apps, such as Google Maps are often inaccurate - compare that to simply picking up a book/map.

So, after all of that preamble, what have I got on my tablet that is of use? Surprisingly very little, but what is there I will give a rating out of five, to indicate their usefulness for preparation.

Shortwave Schedule

Useful for shortwave radio station identification. If you are a radio enthusiast, I thoroughly recommend this, as the database is on par with the WRTV Handbook, however I am not sure how useful it is to our community, hence its low rating.

Preparation Rating: 1/5

My Tide Times

One of the few apps that I use regularly. Shows local tide times (every five miles, or so, in my area), as oppose to the other apps that I tested, which only show times for the main tourist areas. Having sung its praises, I must mention that I still carry the paper copies in my day-bag and refer to them more often!

Preparation Rating: 3/5

BBC Weather and Weather Underground

Both of these apps are useful and I must admit that I do rely on them during periods of bad weather. I have found that they tend to be more accurate than the television forecasts, hence the higher rating.

Preparation Rating: 3/5

Stellarium Mobile

A very impressive app for stargazing, which I found to be superior to alternatives, such as Google Sky Maps. I have given this full marks as I think that this is an excellent way of familiarising yourself with the stars.

Preparation Rating: 5/5

OS Maps

See my previous comments. Unfortunately, this is rather temperamental, hence some of the appalling reviews on Google Play.

Preparation Rating (when working correctly): 4/5

As I mentioned at the beginning, a sparse collection, but hopefully it is of use.

Mr R.
Alloneword

Post by Alloneword »

On the subject of apps, has anyone come across an app that gives info on the Thames Barrier and if it's open or shut, there used to be an app for it but the bolke shut it down about 9 months ago?

All1
Please bear in mind i am prepping for the River Thames to flood and how i can get to safe ground, I'm not worried about the end of the world..... I'll die with the other Minions.
I can't trust Govt or local Council to help me so i have to help myself.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Cracking thread this. I'll be downloading some of these suggestions to try them out - especially that star gazing one.

I've got the SAS mini app on my phone too, which is very basic but the information is sound for when you go camping. I refuse to pay for any apps, it's a policy of mine. But I'm all up for trying something new.

I use Aldiko and other media readers to keep digital copies of lots of my books, audio books and videos - anything that I think may be informative goes into a micro SD card and into my wallet, meaning I have access to reams of information without needing access to the tinterweb.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
Alloneword

Post by Alloneword »

I'm surprised this thread is not a wee bit busier to be honest.

Anyway a couple of apps i have come across are as follows:
Yahoo Mail, sounds crazy i know but happens if you lost all you pc stuff, at least this way you can send and rec email of course if networks are open and up

Tesla LED normal torch function, but also has strobe light on, and can also be programmed to morse send any message you want not just the usual SOS

UK Tides Water is an issue for me so i keep an eye on local tides but does whole of UK

WikiCamps UK Campsite based app giving you local campsites, not ideal for most i know but maybe handy for some

Useful Knots and Knots 3D Could come in handy in certain situations so handy to have

I'm sure there must be a ton of apps out there, so anyone have anything else to add?

All1
Please bear in mind i am prepping for the River Thames to flood and how i can get to safe ground, I'm not worried about the end of the world..... I'll die with the other Minions.
I can't trust Govt or local Council to help me so i have to help myself.
digi

Post by digi »

I found the Yahoo! Mail app to be a pain. It was no faster than using the yahoo mobile site via a browser, but, it did use a lot of bandwidth running in the background checking for emails and pinging the main server. Yes using the browser means it 'reminds' you about the app each time, but i can live with that

Apps i have on my phone are 'Army Survival Guide', 'Usefull Knots' and the british red cross first aid, and baby and child first aid apps
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

One I have is "swiss army knife app" free here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Dreams- ... B00BU9RY2M but you can also get it from the play store .........

One thing I do have tho (not an app), which addresses the main failing of any electronic device (power) is a solar charger, its about half the size of my phone and sits on my cars parcel shelf so is always charged...........