Compiling a list of survival novel recommendations

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
lee3

Re: Compiling a list of survival novel recommendations

Post by lee3 »

I also thoroughly recommend the Alex Scarrow books especially 'Last Light' which is a good book to give family and friends that "dont get it" its very well thought out .... There's talk of a third book also :-)
I'm in area 1
vassili

Post by vassili »

Flipping eck! Just finished last light, what a book. Ensure you read authors note at the end! Should be compulsory reading for everyone, especially for people as lee put it " don't get it"
V
Waterbaby

Post by Waterbaby »

I was also highly impressed by the Alex Scarrow books.

One of the most chilling books I've ever read,if it can be got hold of,is 'Aftermath' by Roger Williams.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Are they any other UK based survival novels, especially anything available as an Audiobook? Most of the ones I find are US based and personally not having a huge wilderness on my doorstep and enough guns myself to single handedly defend Rorkes Drift my interest tends to wain..

How good is the Alex Scarrow - Last Light book as it seems to get very mixed reviews? I started reading the one he wrote that is loosely based on the Donner Party which started off well but failed to keep me reading to the end.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Try World of the Chernyi: Tales of the Chernyi [Kindle Edition]
D. K. Richardson (Author) books

He has other books in the series, but these short stories are a good taster for his style. I loved this series and found it to be well thought out and plotted. kindle version here http://www.amazon.co.uk/World-Chernyi-D ... 757&sr=1-8
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
munchh

Post by munchh »

I have a real problem reading, I love audio books, but have started to collect old time reference books as I seem to have a better time when things are instructional.

I have started to read "Roughing it in the bush" by Susanna Moodie, it is a journal of her and her husbands life after moving from England to Canada in 1832.

and I have two on my Christmas list:

Woodcraft and Camping. George W Sears

Camping and Woodcraft. Horace Kephart

both are old time pioneers, I really like this old stuff as it is the base of all we seem to see now on youtube about prepping and bushcraft, but from the perspective of people who did it to survive, I think they are worth looking back on.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
Waterbaby

Post by Waterbaby »

Death of Grass by John Christopher is set here (dated but good)
Aftermath by Roger Williams also,and
Survivors by Terry Nation.
i11matic1795

Post by i11matic1795 »

After Light - Alan Scarrow. The sequel to Last Light, quite good so far.
tc556guy

Post by tc556guy »

preparedsurrey wrote:Are they any other UK based survival novels, especially anything available as an Audiobook? Most of the ones I find are US based and personally not having a huge wilderness on my doorstep and enough guns myself to single handedly defend Rorkes Drift my interest tends to wain..
The US is more developed than you perceive it to be
I am always amazed at some of the pictures I see of YOUR more remote areas, as my perception of the UK is of highly populated areas with very little remaining wild areas
*My views discussed on this forum are personal opinion and do not constitute information released in an official capacity*
munchh

Post by munchh »

Woodcraft "a guide to camping and survival" by E.H.KREPS

Woodcraft and camping by Nesmuk.

Bushcraft "outdoor skills and wilderness survival" by Mors Kochanski

Bushcraft 101"a field guide to the art of wilderness survival" by Dave Canterbury

Just got this one, covers all the best of the other books, its good.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.