On display or hidden away?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Plymtom

On display or hidden away?

Post by Plymtom »

I want to throw into the hat the idea of, well what the title says really, I don't think I've seen it applied to everyday items which are open to being used against their owners, much like a person who goes out to feel safe carrying a knife and finishes up in hospital or worse when it gets turned against them.

My first example would be kitchen sharps - magnetic knife racks or blocks, they are well what they are, safe accessible ways of storing the things, yet would we still want them as handy if things went south, should we have a locked drawer in the kitchen?

The tool shed on whatever scale poses similar issues, a handy supply of hardware to use to get in the main house?

Worse still like I saw on Preppers UK1 I believe was the guy with a wall full of what for want of a better phrase we would call man toys, would you want a locked laminated glass display case for your knives? would you put trigger locks on your crossbow(s) and air rifles, suffice to say bows, crossbows are cumbersome articles that in some ways are probably best stored on hooks on a wall, mine are and the arrows/bolts are locked away.

So does the same go for your emergency torch in the porch? how about chippings on your drive, are you providing a plentiful supply of ammo for a catapult wielding bandit to attack you with?

You could have a double strategy, on display in normal times, but hide it all away if things get dodgy?
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: On display or hidden away?

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Remember the local Joiner having his van broken into the scrotes then used his tools to go and force entry to several homes garages and sheds in the village :roll:

Suppose people with kids are more than likely to have any pointy stabby shooty bits kept well out of harms way ...

want to secure your stuff borrow a friends 5 years old for 2 hours and watch what they get up to..... :o

Problem is where do you stop? do you bolt the kettle to the stove top should someone get in whilst your brewing up and scald you.. Hide the frying pan? half the time said scrote will probably have something sharp or pointy on them anyway

Keeping anything weppon related be it an ornamental sword or a cross bow out of sight of the windows is probably a good idea anyway
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
unsure

Post by unsure »

i have items all over the house , axe in the kitchen , big axe up stairs .crossbow up stairs hung on the wall with the bolts and broad heads . air pistol in the living room and the 2 rifles in the kitchen and a knife and machete in the bedroom .

ok the reason for it all being scattered about is simple , regular use items are down stairs and lesser used are put away . knife and machete are in the bedroom were i can keep an eye on them ,, well sort of keep an eye on them .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Interesting thoughts.
I don't have weapons , knives or the like on display but then again I don't keep those things locked away. I have swords , axes , spears , bows and tools in the garage some of which are on racking and a few just leaning against the wall. Some take a bit of getting to involving shifting other stuff out of the way but not actually locked away.
The workshop does have tools hanging on the wall but is generally locked, knives in the kitchen are in the drawers , and there are tools in my van which is also locked.
I can understand your point but I'm not sure if it's feasible to lock away everything that could be used against us , even the obvious like kitchen knives would become a pain in the butt having to lock and unlock 4 or 5 times a day.
I don't have a gravel drive but there's enough other crap that could be used against me or anyone else . The herb patch , for instance , on the front garden has a border of stones that would do some damage and there's timber that could be used as clubs. Frankly I don't have an answer to that short of simply concreting the whole garden :?
I suppose it probably best to have your double strategy , keep an eye on events and hide away stuff as and when it seems fitting.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I suppose it probably best to have your double strategy , keep an eye on events and hide away stuff as and when it seems fitting.
Yep that looks good on a thread, but in reality it would be like... if I cant keep that there, WTF am I going put it :lol:

I thought it would make an interesting thread, and it does :D
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Plymtom wrote:
Yep that looks good on a thread, but in reality it would be like... if I cant keep that there, WTF am I going put it :lol:
closely followed by WTF did I put it?

Bit of a bugger when reality gets in the way :D
teatowls

Post by teatowls »

I guess it's drawing the line on what you think could be used as a weapon against you and the actual situation. If we literally mean it'd happen now then most kitchen things are on display but it'd depend where the person broke in because they may not reach something they can use before one of us could. Also if we mean SHTF then it may be the loss of electric,gas,etc so something like a kettle scalding you with hot water wouldn't really be a potential threat if you see what I mean.

The crossbow lives safely tucked away at home but still close to hand if needed with bolts hidden in another location, this could probably change if SHTF though depending on the situation.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Not wishing to be a party pooper and I know all the conversations on here come with the caveat that it is in the event of social breakdown. But....

Pre-arming in the UK is very very illegal. You can defend yourself with improvised weapons, but the moment it looks like you have made preparations to do so it becomes sticky.

A sad situation and as I we all know, not actually what we are talking about. Just be careful what you do and perhaps more importantly, are seen to do. ;)
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Malthouse wrote:Not wishing to be a party pooper and I know all the conversations on here come with the caveat that it is in the event of social breakdown. But....

Pre-arming in the UK is very very illegal. You can defend yourself with improvised weapons, but the moment it looks like you have made preparations to do so it becomes sticky.

A sad situation and as I we all know, not actually what we are talking about. Just be careful what you do and perhaps more importantly, are seen to do. ;)

Have a look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8908 many of us here are very concerned about staying legal and sane :lol: and we have many weapons and firearms threads that highlight this and those who are blissfully unaware of how close to the line they are walking, this thread was mainly intended to highlight the pitfalls and or advantages of having things which mayin the heat of the moment be used both against us or by us, but never inappropriately by us.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Thanks, have weighed in on that one too :)

Not sure about the staying sane part though ;)