Timekeeping/telling the time!

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Hillybilly444

Timekeeping/telling the time!

Post by Hillybilly444 »

Personally, I haven't worn a watch for years...if I need to check the time, I look at the laptop, the mobile phone or the clock in the car! Recently I have been thinking that this probably isn't ideal...I had a quick search on the bay for wind up watches...they don't seem to be made any more! Do you guys all wear watches? Wind up/battery?
Plymtom

Re: Timekeeping/telling the time!

Post by Plymtom »

Yes a cheap Casio digital, but frankly if things went really south so would the need for modern time keeping, but I do have several old wind up watches, my son also had a thing for pocket watches so there's enough kicking about.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Nope, haven't had a watch since 2000.

Like you, I use the mobile.

Since I retired I use that even less. :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Oldarborman

Post by Oldarborman »

Look at the sun's position in the sky !!!! :lol: or if your Tummy's rumbling it's either lunch time or tea time :D
AREA 10
redskies

Post by redskies »

I think we did this before sometime. I don't wear a watch, haven't in years. I make my own schedule through winter and the early part of spring - I sleep when I'm tired, wake when I'm not, eat when I'm hungry. It keeps life interesting - seems I'm one of natures night owls :P In summer, we're so far north we don't actually get much in the way of dark, and I reset to days because of the shop. If I'm not in the shop, I'm still more of a night person, but there's so much daylight, it doesn't really matter.

Time is a very human construct, and I loathe the modern habit of having to be somewhere else ten minutes ago all the damn time. We rush too much, it's not good for us!
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

My mobile is a crap time keeper, all my mobiles have been, but my little watch has been going 5 years on one battery and has only had the hour changed twice a year and the minutes by 2 once, my mobile at this point knows what day it is but thinks I've just had breakfast ;)

or if your Tummy's rumbling it's either lunch time or tea time
nope that wont work I think I'm half Hobbit ;)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Oldarborman

Post by Oldarborman »

Would that be second breakfast and luncheon :D
AREA 10
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

i use my mobile usually due to spinny yank your arm off machines at work should you ever get a watch strap snagged..

My now long gone grand parents got me a lovely kinetic watch for my 18th which if tshtf would be ideal as its self charging with movement
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

Bought OH a solar watch a couple of years ago. He only wears it for work, weekends are pretty much eat when hungry etc.

I have asked for a solar watch for Christmas, I haven't had a watch for a couple of years due to a replacement battery coating more than the watch is worth, but I do miss it!
Hillybilly444

Post by Hillybilly444 »

I was thinking not so much as needing to know what the time is...but more if you arrange to rendezvous with someone/somewhere in an hour or 2 hours or whatever...be a bit stuffed without some means of telling...going to keep digging, see what's out there...maybe just a couple of cheap like budgie battery watches to secrete about places may be a good idea?