weapons

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Plymtom

Re: weapons

Post by Plymtom »

It would be a good start to not consider what are for the most part tools as weapons, a firearm only becomes a weapon if used either in self defence or to attack, mine for now are purely for paper targets and clays, same goes for my crossbow, compound bow, catapult, axe, machete, swiss army knife, and frankly most of them if brought out in a confrontation would be as much if not more of a danger to me than what I was facing, sure I may do some hunting or even vermin control.
Be assured if the dreaded S ever does HTF what are hopefully much liked items of shared pleasure and comradery with my children and my new found friends, then and only then would necessity drive a different outlook, these tools, these treasures, I hope to never use in that way and hope to hand them down through the generations, I would not be surprised if a future grandchild of mine could fire a gun and hit a target and enjoy it for the pleasure it is before they could properly wipe their own backside ;) and for self defence surely the first port of call would be some basic hand to hand self defence course like the ones ( if I remember rightly) a martial arts club around these parts used to run, both for the face value of it and as a way to promote interest in the sport, for you can be sure that if things ever get that bad, at some point that is where you would need to be effective, you would be surprised how easy it is to miss with a UK legal gun under preasure, and how simple it is to turn a blade against it's holder to the experienced, bows of any sort you'd need to be Robin Hood or better to get accurate shots in under attack, of course they are all in that situation better than nothing, simply not for long up against a foe similarly kitted out or more desperate, so stay legal, stay real these things are tool, they are indeed fun and of use to some who hunt or control pests in the here and now.

We see too much of America these days where the second amendment is IMO a necessity and firearms for self defence also probably essential, but then they live with bears, mountain lions, rattlesnakes, and some pretty desperate individuals equally or better armed, and here only licensed individuals whose firearms are under secure storage ( upon which having a license depends) and specific use conditions (that also) are allowed to have them, we have to prove ourselves worthy of it, as such almost a responsibility to inform the interested what fun and a privilege firearms are, and how far off the right track calling them weapons is, sure they are what they are if TS(ever)HTF or a good bit after one is sure it has :lol: all in the hope that more of us join in the happy activities of shooting, archery and all else which could have practical use but are good clean legal safe enjoyable activities, and you meet other fun loving happy people too :D
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
londonercsecse

Post by londonercsecse »

Off: why is hunting with a bow illegal in UK? With such a rich history regarding this kind of weapon, I don't know/understand. Thx, if anyone would know the answer!
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

londonercsecse wrote:Off: why is hunting with a bow illegal in UK? With such a rich history regarding this kind of weapon, I don't know/understand. Thx, if anyone would know the answer!
The original legislation that outlawed bowhunting was in 1963. Permitted killing methods were listed, and archery equipment was not in the list. So bowhunting was outlawed by implication.

The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 pulled this together with various other bits of legislation, and explicitly outlawed the use of archery equipment.

The bit to look at is section 11:

http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content...filesize=30831

The legislation says that no bow or crossbow may be used, but doesn't actually say no arrow may be used! So you could argue in court that it only outlaws conking the animals on the head with a bow, not shooting them.
Taking from http://www.archeryinterchange.com/f16/b ... why-29200/

Don't know whether that helps or not...
gcp1975

Post by gcp1975 »

Just asked OH if she could get me one for Christmas .......She said NOOOOOOOO

BOO HOO

Oh well I'LL save up and I'LL buy it
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Just asked OH if she could get me one for Christmas .......She said NOOOOOOOO
One what sorry? I asked mine for one of each ;) :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
unsure

Post by unsure »

i guess i must be lucky , my wife actively supports me on what i do to relax , be it shooting ,fishing or prepping so long as i relax its fine with her .
how does prepping help you to relax you might ask ,, well for me its knowing that we are doing what we can to help ourselves and come what may its one less thing to worry about .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

unsure wrote:i guess i must be lucky , my wife actively supports me on what i do to relax , be it shooting ,fishing or prepping so long as i relax its fine with her .
how does prepping help you to relax you might ask ,, well for me its knowing that we are doing what we can to help ourselves and come what may its one less thing to worry about .
Exactly right, unsure.
Although my OH doesn't go with the end of the world bit, he sees the benefit of storing food/water etc.
He supports me shooting and I support him doing Krav Maga. He's only been going for a few months but is really enjoying it. Although it might not be relaxing its improving his fitness no end. He does it to ensure he can protect myself and our daughter.
As unsure said, we are doing what we can to help ourselves. If it enjoy then its a bonus.
butterbean

Post by butterbean »

Now Krav Maga is something I would love to learn, that's definitely a skill worth having
Just wish there was a place near me and I had the time to go
success leads to complacency, complacency leads to failure. Only the Paranoid survive!!
Wingfoot

Post by Wingfoot »

As already mentioned self defence is not a valid reason to own fiearms in the UK, we are subjects & do not have the god given right to such items unlike our american friends who have that right enshrined by their 2nd amendment.

In the UK you can only use whats at hand to defend yourself, you have to be careful that your not accused of being/going prepared.

Most UK residents do not realise how easy it is to get a shotgun certificate for sporting purposes providing you have no criminal record, unlike a firearm certificate the onus is on the police to prove you are unfit to have a licence, clay pigeon shooting is a valid reason & there are clubs up & down the country so if you have no criminal record you will nearly always be succesful, any mention of self defence or prepping will in all liklihood see that application refused however.

Firearms are a little different as the applicant must prove they have good reason to posses them & like shotgun applications secure storage will be needed & will be inspected you will also need to be a member of a shooting club or have access to suitable land on which to use it.

Airguns are useful for small ground game but are not a realistic tool with which to defend yourself if ever the rule of law were to disapear.

If things got that bad I would expect the government would confiscate all guns quite early on, as they know where all the legaly owned ones are, that will leave only the criminals & outlaws armed, which is not a very comforting thought.

Wf
Si vis pacem, para bellum
teatowls

Post by teatowls »

gcp1975 wrote:Went to a large market on an airfield ( quite close to Stratford ) on Saturday and saw a 150lb crossbow for £45 the guy even said he would throw in an extra couple of bolts too - now , i would purchase one for hunting and before any one says its no good but lack of funds for a decent one and trying to make one for nowt which didnt work out i think its an absolute bargain !! any input ???
Crossbow hunting in the UK is illegal! Please remember that and only shoot it on private property where you've been given permission being said though in some parts of America it is legal and large powerful ones do bring down larger game so SHTF you probably would be able to if law and order begins to break down. Also, you found a 150lb crossbow for £45? That's a really good price for one! The cheapest one I've ever seen was at £65. A crossbow pistol though you can get for around £15-30 depending on the strength and if it's 'automatic' (just means you pull the handle back to cock it instead of pulling the string) but would only be considered to have a hunting tool if used up close and using them to hunt in the UK is also illegal.

I agree with Wingfoot, weapons would be confiscated early on if it was obvious to authorities and the government that there was going to be a crisis or even during if it was a sudden thing so if you keep legal weapons are well as registered ones store them separately just in case they get the go ahead to also remove legal weapons from those households too.