weapons

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
butterbean

Re: weapons

Post by butterbean »

im definately sold on the idea, having a hobbie thats something different for me and is a skill does sound good.

looks like ill be going through all the old posts then

cheers

a prepping club would be brilliant
success leads to complacency, complacency leads to failure. Only the Paranoid survive!!
Rearfang

Post by Rearfang »

If you look at air rifles there are a few main types
Spring guns
Pro Cons
Spring no external air charging Not as quite as pcp
Pcp or pre charged
Pro Con
Very quite less recoil. Needs to be charged by external source like a diving bottle
Co2
Pro. Con
Quite Co2 cylinders don't hold much gas so would need a good supply
Just a brief guide
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

Unfortunately we are stuck with the constraints of UK law, so therefore we can:
Carry only what is within the law (probably a decent Swiss Army Knife)
Stock up on legal ammo and weapons
Seek out alternative UK legal weapons (Defence spray etc(TIW FARB gel self defence spray with belt pouch))
have the materials to construct make-shift weapons when SHTF
That's about the limit for us in GB.
teatowls

Post by teatowls »

If you're after a legal weapon there's still a nice list of things that you can buy without needing to register for them. You do need to look up the laws on weapons though and learn the specifics or else you could find yourself in a spot of trouble for example if you want a samurai sword it's illegal to have a factory made one but hand crafted ones are legal so I would say you need to get something from the supplier to say it is a legal sword or else it could be confiscated and destroyed.

Pretty sure nunchucks are legal as I've seen plenty of UK sites selling them (do double check though) but I know that shurikens (throwing stars) are not legal so if you think about buying something from a shop that's selling them it's probably best to go elsewhere as other items may be questionable quality and also illegal. Throwing knives seem to be perfectly legal though but I don't know enough about them to confirm it. Seriously, if you see something you like and might want to try you need to research in depth what the law is for it; also beware when buying online as there are fake sites online claiming to be UK based when they aren't and you'll either end up in trouble because they shipped something to the UK which was illegal or you'll lose however much money.

Have a look on sites that sell weapons in the UK (I got my crossbow from 'Blades and Bows' which had a nice range selection of legal weapons) so you can get an idea of what you might like to try out somehow either by getting one or by joining a club somewhere or a class to learn how to use one, just have a look round and see what feels right to you; you might decide you don't want anything that has stigma attached to it like what someone else said so you could opt for a more 'non-lethal' weapon (let's face it though, all weapons are lethal in some manner) and have a look at slingshots (people use them to hunt small animals like mice, etc but do check laws on it as I don't know anything about them in regards to hunting), paintball guns (should put all but the most desperate off in a SHTF world) or even the UK version of a pepper spray since actual sprays are illegal in the UK.

I hope you find something you like in the end! :)
butterbean

Post by butterbean »

Thanks for all the advice, I'm glad I joined this forum, it's already giving me stuff to think about 2 days in.

From a quick search online I've found out I live within a couple of miles of a gun club that does classes for people wanting to try it, so I'm going for a look down there.

I didn't realise there was so many options with regards to legal weapons in the uk
success leads to complacency, complacency leads to failure. Only the Paranoid survive!!
londonercsecse

Post by londonercsecse »

Most important thing: stay legal! Do research on anything You consider as a weapon!
jansman

Post by jansman »

There are no "Legal" weapons in the UK. FULL STOP.
You are only allowed to defend -DEFEND-yourself using "reasonable force". That does not allow you to put a crossbow bolt into an intruder, unless of course he is going to shoot you with a gun. Then you will have questions to answer. This even happens to firearms police officers.
I have spent 23 hours in a police cell explaining why I had a Swiss Army Knife at the scene of an assault (I called the law to stop a guy being kicked to death-they just arrested everyone).
Do not go there.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
gcp1975

Post by gcp1975 »

Went to a large market on an airfield ( quite close to Stratford ) on Saturday and saw a 150lb crossbow for £45 the guy even said he would throw in an extra couple of bolts too - now , i would purchase one for hunting and before any one says its no good but lack of funds for a decent one and trying to make one for nowt which didnt work out i think its an absolute bargain !! any input ???
butterbean

Post by butterbean »

£45 is decent, if you find some where to use it I'm sure it'll provide some fun. It's better than nothing at the end of the day
unsure

Post by unsure »

as things stand at the minute or the fore see-able future , hunting with any bow is illegal .
how ever practicing isn`t and for that money its worth it .
seeing as none of us can see in to the future ,its worth having . who knows if and when the ptb could ban the sale of them .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .