weapons

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
butterbean

weapons

Post by butterbean »

hi all

whats people views on weapons? i cant seem to find much on the subject on here

because theres so many laws in place i dont fancy packing a BOB and keeping it in the car when im going work and back with big knives or other things that i would consider something necessary should the SHTF

ive been stopped on the street by the police before and searched and questioned over a leatherman i had on me and dont fancy going through that over anything else
success leads to complacency, complacency leads to failure. Only the Paranoid survive!!
preppingsu

Re: weapons

Post by preppingsu »

As you already stated in your post, we have to talk within the constraints of the law as it stands now.

So whatever you carry in your EDC must comply with that.

Of course, you could easily pack something away in your car emergency kit as that won't come out unless its an emergency. But you would need to have a reasonable argument why you have it, just in case you are stopped and searched.

You may pick up in older threads about certain things people keep at home, for sports and hobbies. The baseball bat by the front door, for playing baseball of course ;) and the heavy mag light at the side of the bed.

These aren't weapons are they!?
butterbean

Post by butterbean »

thats true enough, i think i should take up baseball on a recreational level
and i suppose i could look into upgraded to the bigger maglite

i'll have to look into the law regarding nunchuks as well. i have a pair of those sitting in the attic from a few years back,

hopefully we'll never have the need to use anything to defend ourselves with but i suppose if your prepping for 1 thing you may as well prep for others

has anybody had any trouble with carrying small knifes in their EDC that are within the legal limit?

like i say i was questioned over my leatherman and i use that all the time for work, now i dont carry anything on me as i dont fancy the hassle it can cause
success leads to complacency, complacency leads to failure. Only the Paranoid survive!!
prepperG

Post by prepperG »

due to the problems of the law and "going equiped" i carry a folding saw and small knife in my bob and keep my survival knife and axe in a draw close to my front door. that way i comply with the law as much as poss when out walking or in my car but if i had to bug out from home would be able to pack the extra kit very quickly.
I also keep a drag bag packed so would just have to add rifle/ammo to bug out.
I am looking at getting a survival bow (see old post) but due to ban on bow hunting might just get some metal arrow heads for my survival kit.
the way i see it my bob is good enough for small emergencies and getting home but i would prob have more warning in a shtf bug out.
i have a 10min bug out plan of what to grab if i have enough time.
an air rifle is a good way of getting meat on the move so would recomend every preper without a fac have one or a survival bow.
i am happy to run training days in rifle safe handling etc (have to give 1months notice to home office to comply with law).
butterbean

Post by butterbean »

an air rifle sounds like a decent idea, ill have to look into laws with that, im sure there will be some.
unsure

Post by unsure »

butterbean wrote:an air rifle sounds like a decent idea, ill have to look into laws with that, im sure there will be some.
the laws buying are quite simple .
you need to be over 18 to buy one , just go to the gun shop with your ID to prove your over 18 .
choose the rifle you want to buy and pay your money .

were to use one is a different matter , the rules for that are quite complex .
you can practice with it in your back garden so long as the pellets don`t leave your property . a good solid wooden box lined with strips of carpet stacked up and glued together make a good quiet back stop . much better than the knock over tin animal type .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
prepperG

Post by prepperG »

the law with air rifles is basically over 18 to buy, has to be under 12ftlbs (6ftlbs for pistol).
you have to be 50ft from public highway when shooting (this includes in ur garden), ie road or navicable waterway. only shoot on private land that you have permission for. you are likely to have the police stop you if walking around with it so always use gun slip when not in use, when not hunting walk with it with barrel broken or by sling so that it is as non threatening as possible.
to get a clean kill dont shoot at targets more than 25-30 meters away and rabits need to be more than 1 meter from hole. the last thing you want to do is have to chase and use more than 1 shot.
Rearfang

Post by Rearfang »

Unfortantly I don't get asked to prove age anymore buying air rifles beer ect lol
Highly recommend a air rifle I went hunting with a old game keeper who never used air guns only shotgun and live rounds he was shocked how many bunnys we bagged with out spooking the others he went straight out and brought one.
butterbean

Post by butterbean »

i think im sold on the idea of an air rifle now,

i work away all over britain in usually remote areas so im sure there would be plenty of legal places to practice with permission
i will look into this when im out of work today, cant exactly google that sort of thing from a nuclear power station PC
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

cant exactly google that sort of thing from a nuclear power station PC
:lol: I wouldn't worry too much, shooting is actually a very popular safe sport in this country in all it's forms, there are old threads on here in which the established shooters told their stories and got me right into it, done properly it has widespread support even from police, our local firearms department are super, sure they have to ask questions, make sure you are doing your sport responsibly, or job in terms of pest control and the like, dig deep in the archives you'll see what I mean, I do feel the need to stand up for shooters, and archers, even catapult enthusiasts, and encourage folk to go out, find or form clubs ( a few prepping ones may not be a bad idea before long) I believe everyone should learn to shoot and it would be no bad thing if schools and social clubs had airgun ranges and local competitions just as they do for other sports, what kid wouldn't love being taught archery on the playing field once or twice a term.

My daughter did archery for activities week at school, my youngest son has done fencing and paintballing with the school, it is the idiots out there and equally idiotic ban it attitude that have allotted a stigma to airguns/shotguns/firearms/crossbows/archery/catapults, you name it all because some ( insert appropriate words here) shoot someone's pets or each other etc, they deserve all the law can throw at them, why should you be timid about an interest which is as innocent as shooting tin ducks at a fairground to win your girlfriend a teddy bear ;)

I'm rambling a bit but it needs to be clear that UK preppers aren't "doomsday preppers" even if some of us do genuinely fear some worse case SHTF scenarios, it does not mean that we are itching to get our air rifle out and go hunting bunnies and squirrels the minute the tanker drivers go on strike, no we are a million miles from the Elmer Fudd on crack paranoid and armed to the teeth scared everyone will be out to get them, whilst at the same time committing slow suicide by paying no concern to advanced health and well being issues. Beyond this another point I'm keen to hammer home is there's fun to be had here with weapons I mean, good safe innocent fun and a useful skill if you need to turn it into that, your interest is closer to Ray Mears than Bin Laden, as such you are neither danger nor threat... have fun I dare you. :D
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.