Ham Radio Foundation licence

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Pete_59

Re: Ham Radio Foundation licence

Post by Pete_59 »

Try contacting the Radio Society of Great Britain as it's one of their registered assessors who will conduct the exam.
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Wont they just direct me to the local club Pete?, thanks for the suggestion though I will attempt contact
korolev

Post by korolev »

Seminole wrote:Wont they just direct me to the local club Pete?, thanks for the suggestion though I will attempt contact
Let us know how it goes will you please
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Will do Korolev, I e-mailed them yesterday, hopefully they will respond, still nothing from the Clubs I contacted, though as I said earlier I'm not receptive to the club mentality but I would have tried if they actually answered my enquiries (Ironic innit, you would think communication would be a speciality for these people) :lol:
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Had a reply from RSGB, basicly you can do the the theory exam at their convention in october 13th (no information given on where this is held just a date, I expect full info is on their website somewhere)
But, you need to have done your practical first and the only way to do this is through a club, so basicly you have to join a club.

So in other words there is no way to get your license without joining a club.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Seminole wrote:Will do Korolev, I e-mailed them yesterday, hopefully they will respond, still nothing from the Clubs I contacted, though as I said earlier I'm not receptive to the club mentality but I would have tried if they actually answered my enquiries (Ironic innit, you would think communication would be a speciality for these people) :lol:
Are you looking for a non-club way to get your foundation? If you are, try here.

https://www.essexham.co.uk/train/foundation-online/
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Thanks, I did find know about that but the info might be useful to someone else reading thread.
It's training only...not Exams

I think the reply from RSGB is definitive, IE: you still need to join a club to do the practical exam, then it's possible to do the theory at the annual convention in october, but if you have to join a club to do the first part, why would you wait months to do the theory, so in practical terms you would do both parts at the Club?

In Short, you have to join a club.

I have sent some more emails out to my 2 local clubs, but still no answers.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

I'd say make the effort to go along to your local club in person if you can't get a response. My local club didn't respond to my emails so I went along to their club night and I was instantly welcomed by all. The end result was I gained a lot more knowledge and experience than what's required to only pass the exams. I can't fault my local club, they weren't running a foundation when I went along so they helped me to get up to speed on an intermediate course that was mid way through. I'm not sure where you are in the UK, my local club is in Mid Devon so if you're close by and want contact details of local club members, let me know.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
seadog

Post by seadog »

I've passed both my Foundation and Intermediate license with the Bath Distance Learning. No fees, you don't have to join, the training is run by Steve Hartley, (really nice guy - he wrote the Foundation book and co wrote the Intermediate book)
You dont have to live near Bath, the revision is done using a website. You do need to do a practical assessment, but thats just one day attendance arranged to suit you. Good luck
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Seadog PM Sent