Waterproof, solar powered, rugged laptop - $400

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Padds

Waterproof, solar powered, rugged laptop - $400

Post by Padds »

So probably £400 by the time it arrives here :evil:

Noticed this new laptop brand that's about to be released in North America on a news site earlier -

http://solaptop.com/en/products/laptops/

Even if it is a bit low spec, you still get a laptop that can power itself and (with the usual tin-foil proofing :tinfoil: ) might be genuinely useful in a SHTF scenario. Pretty decent value for the money if you ask me, although I still need to get my more basic preps in order before splurging on that type of thing...
Madsquad

Re: Waterproof, solar powered, rugged laptop - $400

Post by Madsquad »

that is really nice might have to pick me one up
soutie

Post by soutie »

like it a lot , could do with a upgrade on the spec though
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

I really don't understand why people go to the bother of having stuff like this , so shtf , emp strike , you go to your Faraday cage , extract your waterproof , solar powered laptop , you open it, it starts up , you've got your files , click your internet and nothing , you connect your mobile dongle , nothing ,you teather it to your mobile nothing , because everything has been fried and you've got a working laptop, that you can play Tetris and minesweeper on .

Meh

Just don't get it

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
Attack Warning Red

Post by Attack Warning Red »

poppypiesdad wrote:I really don't understand why people go to the bother of having stuff like this , so shtf , emp strike , you go to your Faraday cage , extract your waterproof , solar powered laptop , you open it, it starts up , you've got your files , click your internet and nothing , you connect your mobile dongle , nothing ,you teather it to your mobile nothing , because everything has been fried and you've got a working laptop, that you can play Tetris and minesweeper on .

Meh

Just don't get it

J
+1

Surely life after any kind of SHTF would be about adapting to life without all that. Computers would be pretty useless IMO. I'd just make sure I had a working calculator as those will always be useful. But computers?...
Attack Warning Red

Post by Attack Warning Red »

Just seen the website, and see the computer runs Linux... :shock:
badgersden

Post by badgersden »

this would be a great bit of kit,you could store so much information it would be a mobile library and never run out of power,i think people forget computers or laptops are not just for surfing the internet,
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

badgersden wrote:this would be a great bit of kit,you could store so much information it would be a mobile library and never run out of power,i think people forget computers or laptops are not just for surfing the internet,
Exactly! Don't care about the internet, but the ability to have so much information on the laptop is a huge advantage, potentially.
metatron

Post by metatron »

You can normally pick up an OLPC for under £50 they were from the One Laptop Per Child project and were built for kids in Africa and South America. They also feature mesh networking.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Attack Warning Red wrote:Just seen the website, and see the computer runs Linux... :shock:
Sorta...Ubuntu, which is what I use (coz Microsoft is EVIL) . Its a friendly looking window and tab front-end thats not too scary even if you're not some kind of hacker/nerd.

Herself can use it just fine and her laptop is Windows

Big advantage is theres loads of free software and you don't have to pay for upgrades to the core (I think I got the 8.0 version on a disk and I'm now running the 10. or 11. version ATM thinking of upping to the 12. that came out a few months back)....Oh, and backwards compatible which W. isn't, no matter what they say
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar