Generators and hot water solar panels

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Dropbear

Post by Dropbear »

Could I get some info on the above please? With regards to fuel consumption and whether hot water solar panels work sufficiently well in blighty? Any help is appreciated.
Carrot Cruncher

Re: Generators and hot water solar panels

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

I'm no expert in either field but my petrol generator (3.2kw, which is quite powerfull) uses 6 ltrs in 7 or 8 hours. Diesel ones may be more efficient but i'm not sure. With regard to big household solar panels I believe that most people over here use them for heating Hot Water and I'm sure I read someone saying they have "free" hot water between May and October. The installation costs can be around 4k though so it would take a very long time to get your money back. We decided against buying them to retrofit them due to the cost and long payback time, but when we move to a new place, if the house already has them installed it would be a major plus.
The-Great-Nothing

Post by The-Great-Nothing »

Hi,

I spent a day installing a Navitron hot water solar panel kit - cost circa £1200. Now I can turn the boiler off between May (ish) and Oct (ish) - with only occational need to top up with gas or immersion.

Whilst looking at the panel stats over Xmas - I saw it pump some hot water down from the panel - so even in winter it pre-heats the water to the boiler some what.

You do need a south facing roof and non pressurised hot water tank with a top feed immersion heater / tapping.

Highly recommended.

Cheers

Matt
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Hi Matt, its always good to hear from someone who has first hand knowledge. How simple / hard was it to install yourself ? Is it something the average person would be able to do ?
Dropbear

Post by Dropbear »

Thanks for the info guys, solar sounds interesting, prep plans for this year include a move south, possible plot and self build so would be nice to factor in these things, wood fired boiler etc. I'll have to look into the genny's more and look into gas bottles for oven to supplement wood/solid fuel cooker. So many plans so few braincells - it hurts :D