Lidl stuff

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Beatts

Re: Lidl stuff

Post by Beatts »

It's crap for knives.

It has destroyed one of my cheaper ones and I'll never use it for knife sharpening again.

It will be very useful for garden shears, chisels, axes and drill bits. Just not knives :-/
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Not from Lidl but I bought a Lansky Blade Medic and I'm pretty happy with the edge it puts on a blade

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
Beatts

Post by Beatts »

Hi,

I bought the Lansky sharpening kit off amazon £30 with 5 stones and I must say when I saw it I thought it looked cheaply made. However it's great, it's resurrected the knife I destroyed on the sharpener above and also sharpened a big Bowie knife I have, to the paper slicing stage.

It's really easy to use, and a very good investment.
notadog

Post by notadog »

So, Lidl has a 1200w inverter, 4-stroke genny for £129 today http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-249 ... l&id=32919

Anyone know anything about it? I can't see it being any good for this price, but for occasional use, might be worth a punt?
On the Internet, no one knows you are a dog.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

To be honest , if it has the 3 year warranty it might be worth a punt , however it's most likely to be a Chinese export , 4 stroke is good , and the price can't be put down

However these look not bad
http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-249 ... ngestore=1

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
notadog

Post by notadog »

I've already got a genny, but it's 2-stroke and only 800w, it's really just an emergency thing to charge up my 110ah leisure battery. I had a look at the box in Lidl today, 1200w peak, 1000w continuous, couldn't see where it was made, but don't think I'll bother.

Not overly convinced by the solar charger. The panel only puts out 100mA, so would take 22 hours to charge. I've got a powerbank about the size of a marker pen which is more portable and charges up very quickly on USB. I use a 10w panel to top up my 110ah leisure battery, although it's obviously not as portable. Maybe good in a SHTF situation, I guess.

I did buy this mulitool for £5. http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-249 ... 32918&ar=6

Seems to be made in Germany, it's stainless steel and while it's no leatherman, it's cheap enough to keep one in your car, which is where mine will live.
On the Internet, no one knows you are a dog.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

poppypiesdad wrote:To be honest , if it has the 3 year warranty it might be worth a punt , however it's most likely to be a Chinese export , 4 stroke is good , and the price can't be put down

However these look not bad
http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-249 ... ngestore=1

J
2200MaH isn't a lot and where we stay mate it might take a while to build enough wigglies to be worthwhile. I've got a portable solar charger that I can take with me when camping/running away from zombies etc, and that looks too big for a pocket. My usual battery bank gives me 1.8 charges on my phone (holds about 6000 wigglies I think) and is more pocket ergonomic. If it works for you though then its money well spent.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Wigglies? :?:
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Decaff wrote:Wigglies? :?:
In this case MaH's, electrical power though Decaff. :)
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Was meaning to post this last week when you's first started talking about the Lidl solar charger. As it happens, since I have a fetish for little solar powered things, I grabbed one of these badboys the second I spotted it. Three year warranty?! For £8?! No brainer. It's my new daily charger and it's replaced my old battery that was working perfectly fine but doesn't have a solar panel.

I used it a few times just as a battery, charged it overnight and took it out with my for a top up during the day. Considering that 2.2ah doesn't sound like a lot, it did a good job charging my 3ah phone battery. It gave me about 68% which is better than a kick in the nuts. Thermal inefficiency can sometimes play havoc even with good batteries. I'm happy because it means that I won't have to look for a wall charger for two days based on my average usage being about 75% a day and should have a little left in the bank.

The best thing about it is that the solar panel - it works!

I've been testing it over the last week or so by leaving it in my conservatory, an all glass west facing room. It took about six days, and though it was still flashing, suggesting it was still charging, I took it and plugged my phone in. I got the full 68% charge from it. Brilliant! When you consider that the room only gets about 60% sun on it during the day (with my house blocking it all morning and the flats behind my house blocking it after about 5pm) and keeping in mind that the glass blocks most of the UV light, that's amazing.

Today it was forecast to rain, so I stuck it into a sandwich bag and left it outside in the garden. I got, believe it or not, 31% charge on my phone from it. That's a full amp hour in a day. A very handy amount of useable phone charge. I'm going to keep it out there for another day and see if I can get it to almost full.

If this thing will really charge fully in three days using just that tiny panel then I'd say it's a fantastic bit of emergency kit. And EDC. And just generally a brilliant little toy. I'll be testing to see if the battery takes any damage by charging it and discharging it at the same time next.

If, in 1094 days it fails to work, I'll just take it back to Lidl and hopefully get another one. :D

As of tomorrow (19th May) they have another power pack with a built in USB lead for charging it and for charging your phone. Looks to be a really good little power bank even though there is no solar. They also have their own foldable USB solar panel with a built in battery for £29.99. I think that might be a little too much to pay though, there are better ones on eBay for less money these days.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.