Fire Starter

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Damkina

Fire Starter

Post by Damkina »

I've just been writing up a list of equipment I would like to purchase over the next months and got to fire starter. I didn't realise just how many there are on the market and wondered if one was better than another.

I'm going to be having a go at lighting an camping fire for the first time soon, and would prefer to get good gear to start with that won't snap or be absolutely useless.

Which would you suggest?
mike.f

Re: Fire Starter

Post by mike.f »

The brand that I use and can’t fault is Light My Fire. There are cheaper ones on the market but with this I don’t think you can go wrong.

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... steel.html

^ ^ Not used this website before, just the first one up on Google.
Damkina

Post by Damkina »

Thank you.

I like the site too... Seen a few other things on there I was planning on purchasing.
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

Light My Fire or the Karrimor version that Field and Trek have for £3.00!
theboss2010

Post by theboss2010 »

A Firesteel is just one way of getting a fire going. You should always have more than one way to start a fire, the same goes for tinder!
janso

Post by janso »

theboss2010 wrote:A Firesteel is just one way of getting a fire going. You should always have more than one way to start a fire, the same goes for tinder!
I agree, try and practice with as many methods as possible from jump leads to those air pump thingys..., all methods need to be practised to be acquainted with AND different types of tinder.
Maybe a list of different types of firestarter with a short description of its operation would be good for all to use as a reference?

I for one believe in the simple flint for use in the UK, and as for tinder - dry moss, cotton wool, belly button fluff :lol: :lol: .... Theres a pretty long list actually! As with anything, find a few methods which work for you and practice like no tomorrow ;)
ChickenLicken

Post by ChickenLicken »

I have an Oak Handled Light My Fire firesteel. I brought it out camping a few times but never had much success in trying to get my tinder to light. Most of the forests over here are always pretty wet and you can never find any readily available dry tinder. I did manage to get some firelighter shavings going once :lol: I think you would be just as well to go down to Lidls and by a bunch of those cheap 4 packs of lighters they sell for about 1 euro.
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

On the subject of tinder, I purchased a couple of packs of Tinder Cards, see a review on this site http://emergencyfirestarter.muzozone.co ... ival-kits/

They are really cheap (i think I only paid a couple of quid for each pack), lightweight, and easy to pack away ...and they catch very easily with a spark from my cheapo fire steel. I know long term it is a good idea to learn the types of tinder that can be found naturally, but it is worth keeping a pack or two of these in your BOB whether you use a lighter or flint to start the fire ...just in case.
Damkina

Post by Damkina »

Well, my list is getting longer and longer, so instead of just looking at it, tomorrow is shopping day for a fire starter and several other items.

Also, I've got long hair... If all fails I'm sure I wouldn't miss an inch or two of a few strands if SHTF. :D

Out of curiosity, can you still purchase those army can openers... The ones that are a metal square with the 'hook' bit and you can hand them on a string round your neck? I've got several can openers, but thought that a few of these would be an added bonus.
lisaloolibell

Post by lisaloolibell »

You can buy a number of firestarting items here
http://lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/acatalog ... aking.html
including the bcb tindercards