dream come true

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
urban fox

dream come true

Post by urban fox »

It may not be of any interest to anyone but I had to tell you I got one of my christmas wishes today that I have been wishing for for 3 years...
I recieved in the post today a francis barker m88 compass brand new in the box. apparently my other half had ordered it in august last year and its taken this long to arrive!!!
it is the most beautiful compass i have ever owned. and I cant wait to use it over joyed is a gross understatement.
I have two of the tritium silva type4/54's which are standard issue to the army but these are the rolls royce of military compasses am just speachless :D :)
Magz

Re: dream come true

Post by Magz »

Bet that brightened your day :D
smileyt

Post by smileyt »

V nice! How come it took so long to arrive?
lisaloolibell

Post by lisaloolibell »

I think we could all admit to getting just a little bit excited when something arrives through the post to add to our preps, Good for you :)
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

urban fox wrote:It may not be of any interest to anyone but I had to tell you I got one of my christmas wishes today that I have been wishing for for 3 years...
I recieved in the post today a francis barker m88 compass brand new in the box. apparently my other half had ordered it in august last year and its taken this long to arrive!!!
it is the most beautiful compass i have ever owned. and I cant wait to use it over joyed is a gross understatement.
I have two of the tritium silva type4/54's which are standard issue to the army but these are the rolls royce of military compasses am just speachless :D :)
Can tell in your post that you are very excited! How lovely of your OH. Enjoy using it.
Meyou

Post by Meyou »

Sweeeeeeet! I hope it brings you many years of service! And fun and games in the middle of nowhere!
lisaloolibell wrote:I think we could all admit to getting just a little bit excited when something arrives through the post to add to our preps, Good for you :)
Right on! I run around the house making odd "SQUEEEEEEEEE! ITS HERE ITS HERE!" noises!
urban fox

Post by urban fox »

smileyt wrote:V nice! How come it took so long to arrive?
I have no idea why it took so long to arrive but they are top class precision and hand made. dont know if you have ever seen one or used one but the accuracy is second to none. and they even come with a calibration certificate... I was testing it out last night and they are just amazing. yet slightly radio active hence the yellow radiation badge on them. though the modern ones are not as bad as the early ones. which were lit by radium 226 :o these new ones from 1960 onward are powered by tritium which is less radio active but still glows like chernobyl!!
they are ok as long as you dont sleep with it under your pillow :)
the old ones were ok as long as they didnt leak fluid!! the worst part of those ones was the fact that the radium parts were hand painted by some very artistic ladies, the sad thing being that to get a very fine line they used to wet the brushes in their mouths!! the result being a beautiful compass but lots of youg ladies with mouth throat and stomach cancers!!! and I suppose thats why they fetch a very high price at auction along with their military history. lawrence of arabia carried a francis barker compass!!