dirt cheap fuel

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
omgshtf

dirt cheap fuel

Post by omgshtf »

Iv found what i think is dirt cheap fuel, acetone for 1.20 a liter from home bargin I'm going to do a boil test v meth to see how good it is but its already 1 8th the cost so i think im on to a winer but wondered what everyone else thought
im prepering for the worst because i hope for the best
12mp82

Re: dirt cheap fuel

Post by 12mp82 »

omgshtf wrote:Iv found what i think is dirt cheap fuel, acetone for 1.20 a liter from home bargin I'm going to do a boil test v meth to see how good it is but its already 1 8th the cost so i think im on to a winer but wondered what everyone else thought
:shock: how much you paying for meths then? I got the last 5ltr bottle for £18 inc
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

12mp82 wrote:
omgshtf wrote:Iv found what i think is dirt cheap fuel, acetone for 1.20 a liter from home bargin I'm going to do a boil test v meth to see how good it is but its already 1 8th the cost so i think im on to a winer but wondered what everyone else thought
:shock: how much you paying for meths then? I got the last 5ltr bottle for £18 inc
You can get a half litre of methylated spirit for £1:99 at a hardware store.

But my home made bioethanol comes out way cheaper. If you buy regular bioethanol in biiiig bulk you can get the cost down to less then £1:90 per litre, but possibly with a P+P charge.

ergo sum: its worth shopping around for online bioethanol suppliers.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

12mp82 wrote:
Edit, I think it must have been two 5ltr bottles for the £18 :oops: :oops:

If acetone was £1.20 per litre and multiply by 8 that would be £9.60 per litre for meths thgat is very expensive meths, or almost £50 for 5 ltrs or am I :?
Last edited by 12mp82 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Attack Warning Red

Post by Attack Warning Red »

Can I ask, what do you use these fuels for? Cooking? Heating? Also, how do you use them? I'm intrigued!
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

Attack Warning Red wrote:Can I ask, what do you use these fuels for? Cooking? Heating? Also, how do you use them? I'm intrigued!
Meths is used for heating in a trangia set up, also can be used for pre-heating Tilley lamps

chris8472

Post by chris8472 »

meth's was £3.49 in the local wilco's for 500ml :o
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Attack Warning Red wrote:Can I ask, what do you use these fuels for? Cooking? Heating? Also, how do you use them? I'm intrigued!
The ethanol I have made I have used for cooking, heating water for tea / washing up and also for supplementary space heating in a (admittedly dangerous) home made bioethanol fireplace.

My main concern was what if there was a power cut in sub zero temperatures and how to keep the air temperature at a reasonable level in doors. My bioethanol fireplace thingy can give the heat in a place a good boost and thus make it more comfortable to live in. Ethanol produces very little or no carbon monoxide, but does produce water vapor and carbon dioxide, so some ventilation is still needed. Meths will make toxins. I know this as it makes me feel like sh@t when I burn it in volume indoors, but ethanol doesn't.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Attack Warning Red

Post by Attack Warning Red »

nickdutch wrote:
The ethanol I have made I have used for cooking, heating water for tea / washing up and also for supplementary space heating in a (admittedly dangerous) home made bioethanol fireplace.

My main concern was what if there was a power cut in sub zero temperatures and how to keep the air temperature at a reasonable level in doors. My bioethanol fireplace thingy can give the heat in a place a good boost and thus make it more comfortable to live in. Ethanol produces very little or no carbon monoxide, but does produce water vapor and carbon dioxide, so some ventilation is still needed. Meths will make toxins. I know this as it makes me feel like sh@t when I burn it in volume indoors, but ethanol doesn't.
Interesting, thanks. I know you've mentioned your homemade bio fuel before. So how do you actually use it? I'm guessing you don't just light it. Do you use some kind of wick and use it like an oil lamp? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?! I'm completely clueless as to how you use it..!:D
munchh

Post by munchh »

http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/fires-surr ... d=12919271

I didnt realise there was such a thing, but i know that you can buy bioethanol at B&Q but when i searched this is all i find, they sell it in 5l in store, cannot remember the price, but it was way cheaper than meths.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.