dirt cheap fuel

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
omgshtf

Re: dirt cheap fuel

Post by omgshtf »

Hi guys I pay around 4.50 for 500ml of meth and I'm using a penny stove i knocked up out of a couple of coke cans its only for emergencies as iv got a wood stove in my bob but for instant heat you just can't beat a meth stove
im prepering for the worst because i hope for the best
sledge

Post by sledge »

I'd advise against using acetone, although the energy release is approx the same, acetone is hugely dangerous due to it's very low flash point and the fact that it is such a good solvent and will dissolve most plastics and synthetic fibres. If you spill meths on something, it generally evaporates, if you spill acetone on plastic items, you end up with a gooey mess.

Another little tip for meths is to add a few percent water, it makes it burns cleaner and less sooty
Sledge

If it bleeds - you can kill it - if you can kill it - you can eat it
I love animals - I've eaten loads of them
shocker

Post by shocker »

Yes, I know that this is an ancient thread but I think its still got legs. Plus at least one of the posters is still active.

I have made biodiesel and other diesel engine fuels from reclaimed waste in the past but never got as far as ethanol, I know theres loads on the web but I trust the opinions of people on here a bit more these days...poor, addled fool that I am :oops:

So, Nick (and anyone else) whats the way with bio eth as vehicle fuel ? Im running a 30 year old V8 thats pretty thirsty but suits my particular needs. Even so, if I could bulk out the bought petrol with homemade, I would be very happy. Whats the set up cost like ? Raw materials ? Does one ferment sugar or starch then distill (strictly for fuel, Im not a drinker due to the meds I have to take) and time/temp the product for eth rather tha meth-anol ?

Any down to earth info would be great. Thanks all. ;)
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

An lpg conversion would be simpler and quicker, should SHTF you can run from any propane bottles you can scrounge.

Ethanol has a habit of eating any rubbers used in older petrol systems even in the limited % it is blended into pump fuel at.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
shocker

Post by shocker »

Hmmm, so viton replacements throughout like with biodiesel then. Im not a fan of LPG on the V8, its OK on a long run but a right sod on short ones. And down here lifting LPG will get you shot !
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Our families 80s Range Rover has been on gas since '88 we just leave it on gas all the time - in fact it did 5 years with no petrol tank as it rusted away.
Most older stuff will start and run on gas from a cold start given a modicum of common sense so as not to promote back fires.
I'm guessing your experience has been with something you had to start on petrol hence the not for short journeys bit?

But yes with ethanol every bit of the fuel system with a rubber component will need changing to be safe. Filler joints, breathers, level sensors etc
shocker

Post by shocker »

Yes, you are right, it was a Disco 3.5 V8 that was petrol start and backfired agressively
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

What a pity with the right kit that could have been set to start on petrol for a minute then switch to gas or just default to start on gas from cold through most of the year.
When set up correctly with properly sized mixers etc they shouldn't backfire unless you open the throttle whilst cranking on gas or there is a fault on the ignition system.

I would be interested to see how you go on with the homebrew anyway :)
shocker

Post by shocker »

Any advice on what system to get then mate ? I was mad keen on the idea, we had a Landy 101 forward control with a carbed V8 that ran like a dream on PLG but that last Disco really put me off. Im really more a diesel man, having worked fleet maintenance for a while and helped my dad who was a CPC among many other things from an early age.

My Rangey is an 87 efi V8 Classic vogue, much battered and militarised, NATO anti radar paint and winch bumpers, 1" lift and very industrial, minimalist interior. And strengthened bodywork as I have done the welding way over spec myself. Im working on a second alternator for two split charge systems to supply radio and extra batteries for site or home lighting.

I would love to have it LPG even with the power loss, just to able to afford to go anywhere again !
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

No need for a fancy injection kit on that, a basic set up should be fine. You might get away with a single BLOS lpg carb, but I would need to check if they can flow enough as you might be right on the limit of what a single one can cope with.
Our RR is on carbs so it runs a plate type mixer on each bank, the way it's set up it feels like it makes more power on gas than petrol. It was rebuilt last year with the later 10 bolt heads and a new cam which has made a huge difference to the power output.
Any vapouriser rated for 150bhp or so should ok be.
Used tanks are cheap off ebay - the 10 year test requirement has been done away with so as long as it isn't covered in rust it should be fine.
Tinsley Tech will sell the rest of the bits you need.
Probably the best place to ask for advice would be the lpg discussion forum at http://www.lpgforum.co.uk
There are several installers on there who will be able to say exactly what you need, I'm not sure what is required on that to turn the petrol side of things off but I've got a feeling it's really simple and doesn't require an emulator to convince it the petrol side is still working when running on lpg.