dirt cheap fuel

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
shocker

Re: dirt cheap fuel

Post by shocker »

Cool, thanks for that mate ! Good to hear about the 10 year thing, that had put me off second hand and self install. Though having worked on HGVs with high pressure diesel and higher pressure air brakes Im confident that I could do it. Problem for me is that I would need another vehicle to drive while my rangey in off the road as I work s-l-o-w these days
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

With a bit of planning ahead you shouldn't really have it off the road for any time. If you search for a document called LPGA COP2 it will tell you all the things you need to comply with for one of their members to call it safe. It's mainly safety and common sense.
I was pleased about the 10 year thing as well, trying to stamp a new test date into the tanks is really quite tricky :lol:
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Off on a bit of a tangent (and re-resurrecting an old thread) but having watched some dudes on youtube make fuel blocks for hexy stoves and the like I thought I'd give it a go. Definitely falls into the dirt cheap category.

Basically, get an ice cube holder, fluff up a couple of cotton wool balls (and pull them apart a bit) and put 2 in each cube. Melt a candle and pour the wax over the cotton balls.
That's it, simples. I did a time test on a hexy tab V home made on 500ml cold water in a mess tin. It was a Highlander tab and definitely caught fire easier and heated up quicker, 1 tab stood on its side lasted about 8 minutes and the water wasn't quite boiling but hot enough for tea coffee and was after about 5 or 6 mins. The home made block took a bit of lighting and longer to heat the water but after 10 minutes it was boiling away and gave out a lot of flame/heat for 16 minutes. Downside was that it was very sooty and I'm not looking forward to cleaning the mess tin but for the price of a candle and some cotton balls its a goer and I'll be carrying both, even if its to use in combination.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

munchh wrote:http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/fires-surr ... d=12919271

I didnt realise there was such a thing, but i know that you can buy bioethanol at B&Q but when i searched this is all i find, they sell it in 5l in store, cannot remember the price, but it was way cheaper than meths.

Think last winter it was on buy 3 bottles for £12 total of 6l
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine