My BOB

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
the-gnole

Re: My BOB

Post by the-gnole »

Never have more than you can carry, cos when you dump something it will inevitably be the wrong thing.

20 - 25% of body weight should be a maximum, so if you weigh 10 stone, 140lbs then maximum weight should be no more than 35lbs.

Make sure that most of the weight is carried on the hips and that the bag on your back is "top heavy"

Bugging out is a last ditch thing, leaving your home is not something recommended unless it cannot be avoided. I was evacuated once because of a major fire a few hunderd yards away with toxic fumes, all windows and doors were locked before leaving, even on the third floor!

Normally a bug out should be no more than three days "wlid", after that either get back home or find a good hotel and have your insurance company pick up the tab, providing you have proper insurance that is, have their phone number and your policy number handy. :D
Damkina

Post by Damkina »

Although I have a backpack that is fine for the weekend camping trips OH and I go on when we go in the car, but it really isn't the best and I should buy a new one.

35lb is ok for me... Don't want my short skinny legs snapping in half :roll:
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

Only the one ;) , I have several these days, I used to have the Army bergans, but went for no DPM (Camo) stuff as it draws attention, plain black or green, or multi coloured panels are better, never get a bag that is too big for what you want to carry, otherwise it all ends up in the bottom giving low centre of gravity or you try to fill it and it gets too heavy to lift and carry.

A good days walking is about 10 to 12 miles for most people, the less kit you take the further you will be able to walk.
Damkina

Post by Damkina »

Yes, I haven't been prepping long and decided to get some stash for the house first. I'm getting there, not as fast as I'd like but all I can say is I'm better prepped than some I know.

I'm prep shopping again this weekend and will have a look round at what I'd like and what i can deal with.
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

Good for you Damkina :D

Look for a pack with good back ventilation to avoid sweaty back syndrome and what is known as SVS, Size Variable System, and look for a bright coloured rain cover in a pocket at the bottom of the pack.

All journeys of a thousand miles start with a single step, then another and another.

The important thing is to enjoy the journey along the way, the scenery can be good along the way.
Damkina

Post by Damkina »

Thanks for that info... Never thought about a rain cover.