Ham radio -anyone interested in free training?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
12mp82

Re: Ham radio -anyone interested in free training?

Post by 12mp82 »

modplod wrote:Why bother if you possess CB radio which can be used for exactly the same purpose you describe? :shock: Instead of just enabling you to talk to the street where you live, it gives you the oppertunity to talk to the whole city!

These toys are being sold for almost the same price of a CB which is tens times more powerful. Sort of gets in in perspective if you ask me...

My advice stands - dont waste your money! :D
Maybe I don't want to speak to the entire city though, I might want to keep my comms local to my street, with a CB it is going to go wider than that. Last time I bought 4 palm sized 446 that will work over a few hundred metres for a few pounds each, and they do work well as we took them out and tried them over ranges of upto half a Km. I have yet to find a CB handheld set that will come at that low price and run on a couple of AAA batteries.

I'll keep my CB's for when we are needing to transmit further afield.
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

modplod

Post by modplod »

With the utmost respect, nearly all CB's have an antenuator switch on them - this reduces RF power to the levels of a 446 mhz radio giving exactly the same range. :shock:

It's perfectly okay to admit you made a mistake. I make plenty myself everyday. :shock: The value of a forum like this one is that the members can try and help others not to make the same mistakes. :oops:

Check Mate! lol :lol:
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

Maybe so MP, but there's are more than one way to skin a rat.

I have multiple ways to communicate, both higher teck and lower teck, the more complicated and expensive it gets the less people are going to be bothered taking part in the early days. To equip my family with four easily used local radios cost me under £20, I have two Midland hand helds I bought new which were over £100 each with the extra's, Hmmm, I can see which is the best way to have more people in contact with each other, can you :lol:

Bit like buying a Lamborghini and living in a city I guess :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

modplod

Post by modplod »

I agree :D

After SHTF literally all kinds of comms will get snapped up by the sheep.

Even more reason to prepare NOW!

CB radios and 446 mhz will both become conjested with traffic. Those with CB's (and ham radio gear) will be able to keep in touch with many many more people.

Nice to see you have many levels of comms in place. That's a great idea.

Look on the bright side (tongue in cheek), one more anti British Labour government and we shall all find out sooner than later (not that the current bunch of idiots are any better). It's what all the sheep vote for! :(
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

If you are going to go the CB radio route consider building you own aerial for it. If you decide to go the Ham route again consider building you own aerials. There is plenty of info on the web, and the swr or Standing wave Ratio is easy to measure with a small meter. a simple design for the ham bands can be found here http://www.users.icscotland.net/~len.pa ... ntenna.htm
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.