Anti-glare spectacles

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Lucky Jim

Anti-glare spectacles

Post by Lucky Jim »

If you wear glasses like me, it's worthwhile getting ones with an anti-glare (aka anti-reflective) coating, Specsavers quoted me £30 to put a coating on the new specs i've just ordered, but the price varies a lot among opticians depending on what lens/frame package you ordered etc, so shop around.
This publicity shot shows the difference between an ordinary non-coated lens (left) and a coated one (right).

The advantage of coateds is that they're more efficient because they let more light through without reflecting some of it away, plus of course light won't glint off them giving away your position whether you're out and about in the woods, or whether you're peeping out your window or whatever, day or night.
But nature got there first..:)-
WIKI- "-Moths' eyes have an unusual property: their surfaces are covered with a natural nanostructured film which eliminates reflections. This allows the moth to see well in the dark, without reflections to give its location away to predators.
An antireflective or anti-reflection (AR) coating is a type of optical coating applied to the surface of lenses and other optical devices to reduce reflection. This improves the efficiency of the system since less light is lost"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-reflective_coating
Plymtom

Re: Anti-glare spectacles

Post by Plymtom »

I wish you more success than I had with reactions lenses, they made things darkes indoors and inefective whilst driving, I find I am for the most part better off wearing a baseball cap, or clip ons, anti greflective is interesrting though, I still have issues where light from behind the lenses bothers me causing reflections I find iritating.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.