Calor Bottles

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Carrot Cruncher

Calor Bottles

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Having used up a bit of Gas while the radiators were knackered I popped down to the local calor supplier this morning to top up. As my parents gave me some money for xmas I was going to bite the bullet and pay the deposit on a couple of extra bottles. I was chatting to the bloke behind the counter about their stock supply, small bottles are fine, the big 45kg(?) ones are out of stock.

Anyway, I ordered an extra 7kg bottle for the Camper Van and another 15kg for the fires. He then charges me £54 total (the deposit on the 2 bottles should be £60 plus the £54 for the gas :D). As we are loading them in the boot he asked me where my empties were (which I didnt have any of). To cut a long story short, he wanted an extra £60 deposit, I told him he was taking the p**s as he had just sold them to me for £54...and the end result was that I had to solemly promise to bring the bottles back to him when they were used up :lol:.....Result !!
bigpaul

Re: Calor Bottles

Post by bigpaul »

Carrot Cruncher wrote:Having used up a bit of Gas while the radiators were knackered I popped down to the local calor supplier this morning to top up. As my parents gave me some money for xmas I was going to bite the bullet and pay the deposit on a couple of extra bottles. I was chatting to the bloke behind the counter about their stock supply, small bottles are fine, the big 45kg(?) ones are out of stock.

Anyway, I ordered an extra 7kg bottle for the Camper Van and another 15kg for the fires. He then charges me £54 total (the deposit on the 2 bottles should be £60 plus the £54 for the gas :D). As we are loading them in the boot he asked me where my empties were (which I didnt have any of). To cut a long story short, he wanted an extra £60 deposit, I told him he was taking the p**s as he had just sold them to me for £54...and the end result was that I had to solemly promise to bring the bottles back to him when they were used up :lol:.....Result !!
15KG calor bottles using an empty in exchange cost £31 each around here!
Huorn

Post by Huorn »

Northern Raider wrote:Around here our street cleaners and council workers among others collectr hundreds of abandoned gas bottles from Calor, Macgas etc and take en to the council recycele centres, they normally let anyone who wants one to simply take them, thus buggering up the requirement to pay a deposit AND keeping more bottles in circulation longer.

Slight problem in that some folks now post videos on Your tube on how to convert calor bottles into BBQs, Wood burning stoves, Chimneas etc which means their is a demand for them.
I've a couple of bottles destined to become wood burners. One for the allotment shed, one for my shed/workshop. I've also used the non-recyclable Helium bottles as portable hearths for no trace woodland fires, which work well. The bottoms of gas bottles also make good cauldrons for group camping.

All part of Reduce, reuse and recycle to me. :)

H
bigpaul

Post by bigpaul »

Got to get my portable gas heater sorted once we can drive around the lanes again, got a heater on freecycle and had to go to Liskeard to collect it and i can't get the darn thing to work! the cylinder is full and the ignition works, i think the regulator is bu##ered!
pol76

Post by pol76 »

Just wait till the pikeys move off a site you get plenty knocking about along with all the other crap they leave

max
Magz

Post by Magz »

Trying to find an empty calor gas bottle round here is like trying to find gold, my gas is £33 including delivery, love my calor gas heater :)
Huorn

Post by Huorn »

Northern Raider wrote:
Huorn wrote:
I've a couple of bottles destined to become wood burners. One for the allotment shed, one for my shed/workshop. I've also used the non-recyclable Helium bottles as portable hearths for no trace woodland fires, which work well. The bottoms of gas bottles also make good cauldrons for group camping.

All part of Reduce, reuse and recycle to me. :)

H

Ultra cool H, Ultra cool, so when can we expect piccys and drawings for your fans ?
NR
The bottle stove I have in mind is along the lines of this one:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showth ... post373641

My portable hearths are simply a bottle cut in half lengthwise with a Scrollsaw. Ear defenders a must. Sorry, but I can't find a decent pic of one at the moment, but will sort that for another time. I keep thinking I'll add some legs and other fanciness, common sense takes over though and I leave it as it is, nice and simple and rest it on two logs to keep the heat away from the ground. So it's really only a simple rectangular bowl with a grill across the top. I also have an old wok I use for the same purpose.

The cauldrons I saw are these:

http://www.ravenlore.co.uk/html/camp__kitchen.html

About half way down. Wayland gives a description of how he made them too. Another thing on the ToDo list!

Pol76 is right, I picked up both my bottles from pikey sites. Canals can be good wombling sites too.

H
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Mine is £30 delivered for the 19kg one - but next time I'm getting the 47kg size, much better value plus it will last me around 8months.
mike.f

Post by mike.f »

I've got empty bottles coming out of my arse at work. Loads of little projects I want to get on with, just not enough time!