Small travel first aid kit

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Le Mouse

Small travel first aid kit

Post by Le Mouse »

How do :)

I'm going InterRailing round Europe next week (read: escaping London during the Olympics and having fun while I'm at it) and trying to work out a good travel first aid kit that won't take up much space. I'm travelling fairly light (one medium sized rucksack plus my normal shoulder bag) so space is at a premium. I've had a look at the Lifesystems kits, plus the ones you can get in Boots and Superdrug and I've come to the conclusion that I'd be better off making one up myself. So far my list has:

Prescription medication (includes hardcore antihistamines)
Plasters (various sizes)
Compeed plasters
Paracetamol
Migraine tablets
Some form of antiseptic cream
small bandage kit
Scissors
safety pins

Is there anything I've missed? I'm going to be in major cities so it shouldn't be hard to pick up additional bits if I needed them, but I'd rather have it all safe and together when I set off. I have most of this stuff already, but with only a few days to go, I'm in full-on panic mode that I've forgotten something!

Cheers :)
Arzosah

Re: Small travel first aid kit

Post by Arzosah »

Depending on where you're going ... insect repellent? I got bitten one evening in Greece, 43 times by mosquitoes - took two years for the scars to fade!
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

The European Health Insurance Card
Travel insurance
Get some electrical tape, sticks better than plasters
Immodium
Tweezers
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Arzosah wrote:Depending on where you're going ... insect repellent? I got bitten one evening in Greece, 43 times by mosquitoes - took two years for the scars to fade!
That's a thought! I'm doing Paris - Munich - Prague - Krakow - Berlin - Amsterdam. Have been to Paris before and I got bitten there - one on my face (took ages to heal) and two massive painfully itchy ones on my arms. There's a chance it was bed bugs in the hotel :(

43 bites! *shudders*
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

pseudonym wrote:The European Health Insurance Card
Turned my room upside down looking for it a couple of days ago, but yes I have it (and it's in date!)
pseudonym wrote:Travel insurance
Just bought it now! :lol:
pseudonym wrote:Get some electrical tape, sticks better than plasters
Is that like gaffer tape or duct tape? The grey stuff?
pseudonym wrote:Immodium
Knew there was something *adds to list*
pseudonym wrote:Tweezers
I've about 3 pairs! :lol:

Thanks pseudonym!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Rats, I should've suggested imodium - I carry it with me all the time! Tweezers too. EHIC card is with the passport. Your passport's in date, isn't it ?? :D

PS - I have interrailing envy ...
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Arzosah wrote:Rats, I should've suggested imodium - I carry it with me all the time! Tweezers too. EHIC card is with the passport. Your passport's in date, isn't it ?? :D

PS - I have interrailing envy ...
Passport's in date. Renewed it a couple of years ago from my lovely fresh faced teenage passport photo that I didn't mind showing people to a biometric one that makes me look decidedly ill! :lol:

I've had interrailing envy for *years*. Finally I've got a bit of money together and a damn fine excuse to go and lo and behold I'm in the very expensive age bracket! :roll: Oh well, only live once...
jansman

Post by jansman »

Wow! Interrailing. I did that 30 yrs. ago and enjoyed it hugely. Couple of tips, when you have packed your bag , chuck a third of it out. Don't cart too much. Secondly, SECURITY. My mate had his rucksack stolen when he took his eye off it for a moment in the Gare Du Nord in Paris. Fortunately we were on the way home, and he had hos passport ON his person.

Good luck and enjoy.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

jansman wrote:Couple of tips, when you have packed your bag , chuck a third of it out. Don't cart too much.
That was the first tip given to me by a well-travelled friend. Hence a smaller rucksack to force the issue. I know what I'm like. I could lug everything and the kitchen sink if left to my own devices! :lol: I'm going for 10 days (all I can afford!) so that makes it a bit easier. Just taking a few changes of clothes, a washbag, a Lonely Planet guidebook and a small emergency kit. Think I'll be finding a launderette in Prague. :lol:
jansman wrote:Secondly, SECURITY. My mate had his rucksack stolen when he took his eye off it for a moment in the Gare Du Nord in Paris. Fortunately we were on the way home, and he had hos passport ON his person.
Nothing will leave my sight. The rucksack will for the most part stay on my back. I have a money belt where my passport will live with my money. I'm already obsessive about security living in London, so this is the easiest bit for me really. :)
jansman wrote:Good luck and enjoy.
Cheers medears! I think I will :D
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

steristrips