Foil Blankets

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Optimystic

Foil Blankets

Post by Optimystic »

Just a quick heads up..

Poundland are selling these in a twin pack.. for, you guessed it.. a pound!!

:D
Le Mouse

Re: Foil Blankets

Post by Le Mouse »

So is the 99p shop... a penny saving! :D

Poundland also has emergency foil shelters - basically an emergency tent, complete with a length of string to tie it up between two trees or something.
lasttruebreed

Post by lasttruebreed »

Since having to use a emergency foil blanket in an actual emergency i can happily say they are utterly useless. Me and a friend were caught in minus conditions, miles from anywhere when i tried using a foil blanket for the very first time (having carried one for years). It was our sleeping bags and not the foil blankets that saved us that night.
Ferricks

Post by Ferricks »

lasttruebreed wrote:Since having to use a emergency foil blanket in an actual emergency i can happily say they are utterly useless. Me and a friend were caught in minus conditions, miles from anywhere when i tried using a foil blanket for the very first time (having carried one for years). It was our sleeping bags and not the foil blankets that saved us that night.
I would agree utterly useless for what you describe and I think that you're right to highlight that....but for having in the car as a light and easy to use blanket if in a breakdown, they can also be used as an additional layer of insulation if walking or even a means of simply keeping a person / stuff dry if you're stuck - they're no' three bad at 2 for £1..... imho :)
lasttruebreed

Post by lasttruebreed »

keeping them in a car for breakdowns is a good idea. My personal choice for in the car is a good thick heavy wool blanket.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

My choice is both :D I've got the Poundland foil blankets now, and I just rescued a 100% wool tartan rug from my sister's garage. Its very old, from our childhood :D and its now clean and fresh and in my airing cupboard.
lasttruebreed

Post by lasttruebreed »

I'd have never thought about that, I've got an old kilt that no longer fits that would be handy to keep in my in-car bob.
Attack Warning Red

Post by Attack Warning Red »

I have to defend the foil blankets. No, they aren't going to be as comfy as a proper blanket. But how many thick blankets are you going to fit in your EDC or rucksack? They can also be used for other things, such as you can make a waterproof/windproof shelter from one, insulate your clothes, collect rainwater, waterproof your shoes, make a sun hat... :D
scoobie

Re: Re: Foil Blankets

Post by scoobie »

Attack Warning Red wrote: They can also be used for other things, such as you can make a waterproof/windproof shelter from one, insulate your clothes, collect rainwater, waterproof your shoes, make a sun hat... :D
Or even a foil hat for those conspiracy moments ;)
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin
jansman

Re: Re: Foil Blankets

Post by jansman »

scoobie wrote:
Attack Warning Red wrote: They can also be used for other things, such as you can make a waterproof/windproof shelter from one, insulate your clothes, collect rainwater, waterproof your shoes, make a sun hat... :D
Or even a foil hat for those conspiracy moments ;)
Scrolling down... Damn ! You beat me to it :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.