Cast Iron Stove

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
mike.f

Re: Cast Iron Stove

Post by mike.f »

Nice stove and a very nice price. If you dont mind me being nosy how much did the total cost come to including the flue and fitting ?

Don’t mind you asking at all CC.

The stove itself cost £194.00 as you’ve seen.

300mm of 5” Enameled Flue - £20.16
5” Flue Damper - £9.71
CO Alarm (Carbon Monoxide) - £20.00
Fire Cement (To Seal flue) - £3.00

I also had to install a steel register plate and frame and seal with high temperature silicone – All free from work. I did all the install myself so that helps to keep costs down!

The only other outlay for me was the chimney sweep which cost £40.
In total it cost me £246.87 – Not bad seeing as I now have a guaranteed warm area of the house.
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

mike.f wrote:
Nice stove and a very nice price. If you dont mind me being nosy how much did the total cost come to including the flue and fitting ?

Don’t mind you asking at all CC.

The stove itself cost £194.00 as you’ve seen.

300mm of 5” Enameled Flue - £20.16
5” Flue Damper - £9.71
CO Alarm (Carbon Monoxide) - £20.00
Fire Cement (To Seal flue) - £3.00

I also had to install a steel register plate and frame and seal with high temperature silicone – All free from work. I did all the install myself so that helps to keep costs down!

The only other outlay for me was the chimney sweep which cost £40.
In total it cost me £246.87 – Not bad seeing as I now have a guaranteed warm area of the house.
That is excellent.....I may be able to afford one after all. hmnnnn.....time to slowly plant the seeds in MrsCC's head :D
mike.f

Post by mike.f »

Did you have to have it inspected by the Council or a HATAS guy as we have to up here?
We have to down here too.

I didn’t get the council round but it is fully compliant with Approved Document J. I’ve had a couple of mates round who are installers and they say it’s compliant.

After my three day course and 500 quid lighter in the pocket I’ll be an approved HETAS installer anyway. Stove will be coming with me when i move too!

I would recommend that anyone thinking of alternative means of heating goes down the route of approved compliant installers. It’s too easy to kill a room full of people with carbon monoxide poisoning or blow a house up with dodgy gas work.
skinnyj

Post by skinnyj »

We've got a Wenlock in our study, had it for about 25-30 years. Amazing thing, compared to an open fire. Just needs the odd firebrick replacing every few years, and the cement around the joints, and re-stove blacking every year or so (a tiny job to do at the end of the summer). Hadn't realised the Aga Borg Monolith had taken them over as well as Rayburn, Stanley, et al.... No doubt they cost five times as much as they should now, have too many fancy features, thus break down a lot, and parts supply is non existent! :D It's like that with our Stanley (which is pre-Aga vintage and parts supply is zero). Great old oil burner ~ Aga borg not interested in supplied loyal customers. Much prefer to supply guardian reading lefty wankers who have wet their pants after watching Huge Farty-Fartypants sell them a sanitized version of the good life.

As for the machine mart stoves, I like their simplicity, but they always feel a bit 'light' for me ~ don't forget that a stove like this needs to be really, really, heavy to be efficient, being a 'heat sink' that absorbs the heat from the fire before it disappears up the chimney. However, I have never actually used a machine mart one, so take that with a pinch of salt. Would be delighted if they were any good, they are cheap enough (some of the really small ones) and would be a good addition to our freezing workshop!

Let me know, anyone, how you get on with them.