berkefeld filter

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Carrot Cruncher

berkefeld filter

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Well my "British Berkefeld" water filter arrived today, I opted for the SS2 model (stainless steel with 2 candle filters).

It is a gravity fed system so requires no electricty or manual effort to run. I have opted for 2 ATC Candles which will each produce 15 litres of water each in a 24 hr period, so in this instance I will have 30ltrs of Drinking water / day. The Filter housing has space and fittings for another 2 candles which would up the daily rate to 60 Ltrs.

I chose the ATC candles as they filter out more contaminants (inc metals etc) than the standard candles. The extra filtration comes at the cost of a more limited lifespan. Each ATC candle will work to its optimum for 1500 Ltrs, the more basic candles will run to there optimum for 10,000 ltrs each. My plan is to purchase 4 of the more basic candles (an extra 40,000 ltrs) for use after the ATC ones lifespan has run out. A pdf of the different candles and what they filter, and how much they filter is available here http://www.faireyceramics.com/images/st ... e_2010.pdf

The whole filter when unassembled fits ino a box 14"x 9"x 9" and is very light so there is no problem taking it with you if you need to bug out. If you are bugging out on foot though you may want to look at one of their smaller products to save space.

For £92 delivered it is a very cheap and easy way to cure what may well be our biggest problem if we ever find ourselves in a post fall situation....clean water free from disease.

I will post some pics of the various componants when I get time

CC
Carrot Cruncher

Re: berkefeld filter

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Northern Raider wrote:I've had the plastic bodied version for years and absolutely worship it, When the babies were born ALL the water used in the food and drinks went through the Berky, Total peace of mind.
When you think that drinkable clean water is probably the most important resource that we may be lacking in any major catastrophy I'm a bit embarrassed it took me this long to get a decent filter

CC