Types of generator

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
DigitalTwin1

Types of generator

Post by DigitalTwin1 »

Hello, I'd like to ask for advice about what type of generator to buy, solar, lpg, diesel?? - any pros and cons to consider about different types, and where to buy them? Many thanks :)
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Types of generator

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Welcome can you please post an Intro in the new members section
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

In order to answer any "Which is Best?" question, the first reply should be "For what?".

So, where is it going?
What does it have to power?
How much have you budgeted for setup?
What sort of running and maintenance costs can you afford?
What skills (or lack thereof) do you have?
Is this as a stopgap for when there is an interruption or will it be your only source of power?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
DigitalTwin1

Post by DigitalTwin1 »

Thank you for your reply, so this would be a stopgap for the home if the power went down for a few months. I'd want to charge a fridge and a freezer and perhaps some lights and a mobile phone now and again. Willing to consider all initial costs for set up, and running costs are no issue. I also don't know where it would need to be stored while it was running, outside the home I would guess outside the back door? Perhaps the shed? If you havent guessed it yet, i know nothing about generators or prepping lol and have few skills, but eager to learn :) I appreciate all replies.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I don't know much about them either.... But I'm sure someone who does will be along soon
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

DigitalTwin1 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:41 pm . Willing to consider all initial costs for set up, and running costs are no issue.
Running costs may become an issue if circumstances change. For example if there were to be a big downturn in the economy with power cuts and a lot of unemployment you may find yourself u able to afford the fuel.
The cheapest to buy would probably be a petrol genny although there does seem to be a few on the market that are frankly not very powerful . Look for something the size of generator that hire shops rent out. Biggest disadvantage would be fuel storage. Legally we can only store 30L which wouldn't last forever. Bending the law and storing more raises the problem of petrol going off. There's also the safety issue with storing petrol.
I have friends who have installed an lpg generator. No limits to how much gas can be stored as far as i know other than how much one can afford. One thing that impressed me was how quiet it runs. I'm not sure of the output but physical size is a large cupboard or small wardrobe size and it is mounted on the wall.
Diesel seems better for prolonged running from what i understand . More expensive to buy but no limits on fuel storage . There seems to be trailer mounted generators available , i've used them on building sites on occasion.
Solar and wind i'm less sure of . Obviously relies on batteries which at the moment may be a cost issue but as evs become more common there should be more second hand ones coming on the market.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Firstly generators make NOISE and lots of it even the "quiet ones" such as the Honda ei10 or ei20 have a sound level...

Now first few days probably not an issue but you'll depending on your area draw the attention of people who might want to take it off you..

Generators be them petrol LPG or diesel produce toxic exhaust fumes. So you don't want those drawn into your house

Storage the max amount of unleaded you can legally store is 30 litres

Likewise LPG needs care to store safely

Now onto your house are you planning to run a decent extension lead I to the house or have it professionally wired in by the installation of a dedicated change over switch which will let you power most of the house ?

Then onto KW rating to run inductive loads rule of thumb is bigger is better. The initial kick needed will bog down a small gen set my Stihl pressure washer stalls my dad's 2.5kva generator (pressure washer is 2.3kw)

So double what you think you need it will put less stress on the generator and engine running one at half its rated power than running a smaller unit at its limit especially over a few hours

I wouldn't get too stressed about a mobile phone after several hours of no mains power the cell tower back ups will be flat :lol:

Oh and sensitive electronics really don't like dirty generator power look for a inverter based unit for computers and the like

jansman

Post by jansman »

What Yorkshire Andy says. I flogged my big site gennie a couple of years ago. I never used it ‘in battle’ as it were! Fuel storage was an issue, and so was our ever increasing collection of modern electronics ( which Andy points out, don’t like ‘dirty’ power). Charging internet gizmos is not on my list, as are mobile phones. In a real grid -down situation ( again as Andy says) they won’t work anyway!

My communication will be a two way radio whilst foraging locally:Mr J to Mrs J. Battery radio. Solar and battery lighting is what we REALLY need. And it ain’t noisy either. Noise is the issue for me if I am honest.

I remember an ice storm here 30 years ago. We lost power and water for a whole week- that was a learning curve! I kept coursing dogs back then, and on my regular exercise walks , it was very , very obvious, who had a generator! In a society WROL, that could be serious from a personal security angle.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I've got a 5 KVA site generator which I use if I need power on my allotment... First few days it'll hold the freezer and then it's not getting used unless an emergency requires it

I've got inverters too but realistically it's a inefficient method of powering stuff

I've solar but it's not overly good in winter

I've got solar 12v and a usb solar charger

If you have a car and jump leads it's a quick way of boosting a leisure battery if not overly good for it...

DigitalTwin1

Post by DigitalTwin1 »

Thank you, so am thinking that I could run a standard, new energy efficient fridge from a 400 w generator? I think i will get a solar powered one as the other types seem noisy and smelly. This might sound ridiculous but could you in theory get a large solar panel, say 250 watts, and just lie it in your garden? How then does the electricity you've generated get into your house, does the thing have an extension you can plug things into? :lol: