Maglights?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
axelt123

Maglights?

Post by axelt123 »

I was tinking about getting some more torches and was think about maglights. What do you think would be better a mini or large version? (For use at BOL) Are Normal or the led bulbs better?

Or are there better brands out there?

Thanks axel
axelt123

Re: Maglights?

Post by axelt123 »

Northern Raider wrote:Gosh Axel Maglites are positively stone age these days, reven the LED versions. there are hundreds of much better makes and models available now, I use Fenix flashlights and Inova Flashlights both LED types cos you get much better battery life and of course the bulbs nnever blow.

Inova x5 and Fenix L2DQ5 my personal favs but everyone else will have their own choices.

thanks for the brands there so many out there i dont kw what are god or not.

thanks axel
smileyt

Post by smileyt »

Have a look at flashaholics.co.uk, they have loads of torches, so many you'll definitely be confused!!
janso

Post by janso »

As NR said, definitely go for LED bulb conversion. I still have several maglites still going, ranging from my 3 cell in the truck to mini's in my kit and solitaires with my nav kit and med pack! Petzl and LED Lenser are very good, as are the Fenix and Inova brands.

It boils down to price.... how much do you wanna pay? Review the ones which fall in your budget and size up the brightness against the power against the battery type.... as mentioned elsewhere, try and get all your electronics working off the same battery size if not rechargeable.

Hope it helps...
hobo

Post by hobo »

I've just upgraded 3 old mini-maglites with a 1 WATT LED UPGRADE II & I.Q. SWITCH
http://www.niteize.com/products/1-watt- ... itch-combo
for about a tenner each for pressies this christmas,

Personal favourite is an LED Lenser T7 @ 200 lumens. Lovely powerful torch and on offer at amazon at the mo http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenser-7439TP-T ... 733&sr=8-1

Hobo
Meyou

Post by Meyou »

I've always bought mag-lites, so don't know much about other brands. I mostly stick to mini-maglites of the LED variety. Never had one break on me, nice an solid little things.

I did however buy a Silva headlamp, as it came with three white LED's and one red LED. very handy.
axelt123

Post by axelt123 »

Meyou wrote:I've always bought mag-lites, so don't know much about other brands. I mostly stick to mini-maglites of the LED variety. Never had one break on me, nice an solid little things.

I did however buy a Silva headlamp, as it came with three white LED's and one red LED. very handy.

yes red lights are good as the light cant be seen as easy from a distance

axel
scoobie

Post by scoobie »

I've had a bunch of maglites, but somehow managed to lose my mini and 2D maglite...*no* idea how!!

Never had a problem with them (apart from losing them) tough as old boots too..

No doubt there are better out there, but I've always found them good for the money.
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin
Alley

Post by Alley »

Yeah, Maglites are rubbish compared to new LED torches. They're heavy too.
It's also not worth buying those little headtorches from Tesco etc.
Depends what you want it for but if you need it for underground, I'd say it's worth spending as much as you can. I use these for caving:
Led Lenser P7. It's a fantastically bright small hand torch, takes 4 x AAA, about 40-50 pounds.
And for a headtorch the Petzl Duo, 5 or 14 LED 50-90 pounds. Can take 4 x AA or a Petzl rechargeable.
brer fox

Post by brer fox »

H i yes the mag-lights are a little on the heavy side, but with some simple training they can also make a very effective defensive weapon especially the smaller 2AA, look up kubotan :D