Gadgets everywhere

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
cbp125

Re: Gadgets everywhere

Post by cbp125 »

I followed tec for many years, enjoying all the new inovations but I have now turned my back on most of them for a simplier life. I do not agree with over complicating equipment, a dishwasher that texts you when its finished or a fridge that re orders your milk when you run out, for several reasons.
Firstly the more tec in equipment the more there is to go wrong, keep it simple principles work well
Secondy the more tec does FOR me the lazier, more stupid or dependant I would become, sat nav is a good example...
Thirdly it opens up new avenues for survalence, which I disagree with. If Jansman for example takes on a secret job during lockdown whilst claiming furlow paid cash in hand, HMRC could check the logs of his fridge and notice that it is not opened during x to x time each day unlike usual. They could check his car GPS log, his contactless payments or any other number of things to find out where he is. Not only could all this data be accessed but it is the automation of the information that has lead to predictive policing with consequent reduction in police numbers due to "efficency of intelegence"
Large companies can also sell your data for profit, if they notice you open your fridge too frequently or at night they start to display diet adverts to you.
Its all just a bit creapy for me, if someone followed me around with a camera, notebook and pencil writing down everything I did, I would complain, now it is done automatically.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

I like the way you think and agree.

(Except for the bit about Jansman as I'm sure he wouldn't dream of doing any such thing, especially now that you have painted a target on his back as we all know this site is being watched by secret watchdogs on behalf of HRMC and monitored by covert government forces and my fridge.)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I would think that HMRC have their hands full coping with Brexit - there arent enough of them to do that as it is. And aye, Jansman has more sense :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Wow! I never considered surveillance in that way! I just keep the lid on technology’cos it’s more to go wrong if I am honest.

I do get concerned when I visit some websites, and I get pop up adverts for fishing tackle I have viewed or bought on eBay. I am doing my best to cure that - cookies etc.

Putting tech into context for * me*, I take from it what is useful. Obviously we have the internet, and have since it became easily available. As an avid reader, I saw it for the information resource it is ( although back then it was a little more‘innocent’ than now). I have a smart phone. It is a useful tool. I was presented with one when I was multidrop driving , and Mrs J said the sat nav on it would be useful. It was. I have an amazon tablet ( I don’t shop with them) to watch you tube fishing videos and read books. That’s it!

I bought Mrs J a new laptop. You know what? I don’t even know how to switch it on, and I don’t care. My boss berates me because my computer skills are somewhat limited. I can generate an invoice, what more do I need? I tell him he employed me as a butcher ( and the best one he’s ever had), not a bloody office wallah! :lol:

I like simplicity, it stops your head getting cluttered up.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

I must admit the what-3-words app is a good "gadget".
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
redskies

Post by redskies »

jansman wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:17 am Wow! I never considered surveillance in that way! I just keep the lid on technology’cos it’s more to go wrong if I am honest.

I do get concerned when I visit some websites, and I get pop up adverts for fishing tackle I have viewed or bought on eBay. I am doing my best to cure that - cookies etc.

Putting tech into context for * me*, I take from it what is useful. Obviously we have the internet, and have since it became easily available. As an avid reader, I saw it for the information resource it is ( although back then it was a little more‘innocent’ than now). I have a smart phone. It is a useful tool. I was presented with one when I was multidrop driving , and Mrs J said the sat nav on it would be useful. It was. I have an amazon tablet ( I don’t shop with them) to watch you tube fishing videos and read books. That’s it!

I bought Mrs J a new laptop. You know what? I don’t even know how to switch it on, and I don’t care. My boss berates me because my computer skills are somewhat limited. I can generate an invoice, what more do I need? I tell him he employed me as a butcher ( and the best one he’s ever had), not a bloody office wallah! :lol:

I like simplicity, it stops your head getting cluttered up.

Ghostery and Ad Blocker - I don't get followed round the internet anymore :)
redskies

Post by redskies »

And, cbp125, I agree.

Where I go & what I do is my business. One of the reasons I tend to stick to cash.
The Green Man

Post by The Green Man »

My wife visited a well known coffee shop chain this afternoon, they took her order and payment (cash) but before they gave her the coffee the girl behind the counter said “you have to scan this QR code first”

“Scan it with what?”

“Your phone”

“Sorry I don’t have a phone”

Then began a lot of bemused looks and 3 staff members had to become involved because they didn’t know what to do!
"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

The Green Man wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:18 pm My wife visited a well known coffee shop chain this afternoon, they took her order and payment (cash) but before they gave her the coffee the girl behind the counter said “you have to scan this QR code first”

“Scan it with what?”

“Your phone”

Then began a lot of bemused looks and 3 staff members had to become involved because they didn’t know what to do!
Must admit the brick Nokia in the draw of crap is looking like it's coming out of retirement
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

The Green Man wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:18 pm My wife visited a well known coffee shop chain this afternoon, they took her order and payment (cash) but before they gave her the coffee the girl behind the counter said “you have to scan this QR code first”

“Scan it with what?”

“Your phone”

Matt Hancock said that if ( IF) we want the government track and trace app, we may “ need to upgrade our phones “ yeah right!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.