Gadgets everywhere

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Lemne
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:44 pm

Gadgets everywhere

Post by Lemne » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:26 pm

I have a friend who has just about everything automated and working from his phone it seems. This gives me the heebee geebees. I in my 50's and understand tech but I've always had an irrational fear that some day technology is going to get more intelligent then we think it will. If he loses the use of his phone and internet then his whole house is completely useless. What is wrong with knobs and switches or am I just being old.

jansman
Posts: 8648
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: Gadgets everywhere

Post by jansman » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:44 pm

Lemne wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:26 pm
I have a friend who has just about everything automated and working from his phone it seems. This gives me the heebee geebees. I in my 50's and understand tech but I've always had an irrational fear that some day technology is going to get more intelligent then we think it will. If he loses the use of his phone and internet then his whole house is completely useless. What is wrong with knobs and switches or am I just being old.
Could not agree more! My youngest has just split up from her husband. They had a great big , internet controlled, mini- mansion. Now she is back to ours; coal, wood and actually turning lights on! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.

Yorkshire Andy
Posts: 4884
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: Gadgets everywhere

Post by Yorkshire Andy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:53 pm

jansman wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:44 pm
Lemne wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:26 pm
I have a friend who has just about everything automated and working from his phone it seems. This gives me the heebee geebees. I in my 50's and understand tech but I've always had an irrational fear that some day technology is going to get more intelligent then we think it will. If he loses the use of his phone and internet then his whole house is completely useless. What is wrong with knobs and switches or am I just being old.
Could not agree more! My youngest has just split up from her husband. They had a great big , internet controlled, mini- mansion. Now she is back to ours; coal, wood and actually turning lights on! :lol:

Hope she left having changing all the passwords and retaining internet wide control..... Ohhh 3am time to set the central heating to 300°c :twisted:


It is getting to the point where every household device is becoming "smart" and knobs and switches are dying out in favour of touch screens
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine

jansman
Posts: 8648
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: Gadgets everywhere

Post by jansman » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:55 pm

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:53 pm
jansman wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:44 pm
Lemne wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:26 pm
I have a friend who has just about everything automated and working from his phone it seems. This gives me the heebee geebees. I in my 50's and understand tech but I've always had an irrational fear that some day technology is going to get more intelligent then we think it will. If he loses the use of his phone and internet then his whole house is completely useless. What is wrong with knobs and switches or am I just being old.
Could not agree more! My youngest has just split up from her husband. They had a great big , internet controlled, mini- mansion. Now she is back to ours; coal, wood and actually turning lights on! :lol:

Hope she left having changing all the passwords and retaining internet wide control..... Ohhh 3am time to set the central heating to 300°c :twisted:


It is getting to the point where every household device is becoming "smart" and knobs and switches are dying out in favour of touch screens
Not in this house!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.

Yorkshire Andy
Posts: 4884
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: Gadgets everywhere

Post by Yorkshire Andy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:05 pm

jansman wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:55 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:53 pm
jansman wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:44 pm

Could not agree more! My youngest has just split up from her husband. They had a great big , internet controlled, mini- mansion. Now she is back to ours; coal, wood and actually turning lights on! :lol:

Hope she left having changing all the passwords and retaining internet wide control..... Ohhh 3am time to set the central heating to 300°c :twisted:


It is getting to the point where every household device is becoming "smart" and knobs and switches are dying out in favour of touch screens
Not in this house!
Even the ruddy washing machine / fridge freezer you try and find one with a clockwork program knob or a fridge with capillary tube dial operated thermostat all blinking soft touch buttons and a row of led lights
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine

Stonecarver
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:32 pm
Location: Eastern Scotland

Re: Gadgets everywhere

Post by Stonecarver » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:27 pm

A lot of these new things are internet enabled allowing for hacking and all the attendant problems associated with it. Just pure laziness
One sure sign of the decline of a civilisation is the inability to reproduce the technological achievments of its past

User avatar
The Green Man
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:57 pm

Re: Gadgets everywhere

Post by The Green Man » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:59 pm

Totally agree, don’t get me wrong, we have “devices” etc at home but nothing that we can’t turn off or live without, certainly nothing that controls our home.

We don’t have a smart meter and won’t be having one either, I just feel like a foreign power being able to hack our gas or electricity supply is too much of a risk.
"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Arzosah
Posts: 4586
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Gadgets everywhere

Post by Arzosah » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 pm

Between hacking, and the distinct possibility of losing my phone somewhere, no financial accounts are linked to my phone, not at all. A kindle I bought has Alexa, but I've researched a way to turn it off. And I tape over the selfie camera.

User avatar
korolev
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:18 am
Location: Land of the South Saxons

Re: Gadgets everywhere

Post by korolev » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:26 pm

I like technology. I have been in it all my working life; telephones from dial phones through TACS to GSM/3G/4G/5G network infrastructure.
I built a light controller to turn my lounge lamp on at sunset just for the fun of it but, really, it's just as easy to press a button or throw a switch.
I'm not, like some of you UTTER LUDDITES*, against technology but, for me, there has to be a need.








*love you all really

Bosworth
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:03 pm

Re: Gadgets everywhere

Post by Bosworth » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:48 pm

This thread is nuts!

Are you genuinely worried that because a washing machine has lots of red lights and an electronic control, you are at risk? Surely electricity continuity is the bigger risk to your standard of living? Or water supply? Or ability to buy detergent?

That internet-of-things will be used to subvert you? How? A vicious strobe light effect in your kitchen?

A phone with a banking app doesn’t mean your phone can magic your money away. There are precisely zero cases of this. But hundreds of millions stolen through theft plus other related scams where people literally volunteer to give their money away to fraudsters.

This really feels like the wrong place to focus prepping energy.

Genuine question: what am I missing? Is it worth a thread to offer up concerns that could be debated and hopefully rebutted with knowledge, facts, and sensibilities?

Post Reply