Solar USB Charger

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jansman

Re: Solar USB Charger

Post by jansman »

They will work in daylight.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Lemne wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:21 pm Thanks for the replies. Lots of good info. Will the solar panels work in day light or does it have to be strong sunlight. Am just wondering whether it's worth buying one at this time of year or waiting to Spring. Sorry if that's a stupid question :/

Work with daylight not as good as bright sun light but you do get power....... Remember you do get lots of bright winter days between the gloom :lol:

Works best outside but the window sill inside still sees it make power

Our front faces east ) south east catches the sun rise we have the standard 2 outer hinged like door windows and the top opener bit of cord hung off the middle top charges ok all year round

Beats the exercise bike idea ;)

If you have a car get a car charger and whilst you drive slap a power bank on charge ;) for the minute amount of extra fuel it would use as extra load you might as well :)

You can get wind / water turbines too depending on your location they might be viable..

You can even get a mini wood burner which makes electric but not cheap
https://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/campstove-2
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
medwayman

Post by medwayman »

A few things that I have learnt is it is best not to directly charge anything, especially a costly IPAD or Iphone or camera that costs few quid as when charging the Output can vary dramatically and that can possibly damage the battery and if it is an expensive bit of kit IPad for example a costly repair or even replacement might be needed!!. Best to charge some powerbanks and then charge whatever from those as they will give a steady output.

Secondly cable quality can be something sometimes overlooked most things I have got need a microusb cable and some of these are power rated my little action cam comes with a cable that can only charge at 600Ma try charging anything that need more that that using that cable will take FOREVER, best invest in a decentish cable not too pricey stay away form the poundland level though!

And a little USB tester is always handy just to keep an eye in things.
P1040065.JPG
P1040063.JPG
P1040062.JPG
P1040060.JPG
P1040057.JPG