Propane

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
PreppingPingu

Propane

Post by PreppingPingu »

Hubby's small forge for his knife making arrived so I went pootling out to get some propane. Well, that wasn't so easy! It seems that Calor have stopped places like garden centres from letting new customers buy tanks of propane. If you are an existing customer, that's fine as you have an empty tank but new customers are a no no as they don't have a tank to hand over. Unless you have just bought a gas BBQ - Calor told our local garden centre chain that then they can sign them up as new customers. When I did find a supplier who was letting new customer buy propane, getting the size I wanted was my next issue. I've ended up with a small 3.9k tank as no one locally seemed to have the 6k ones. One place had a few 13k and the place I went to in the end was getting some in the next day. At least I can swap the 3.9k for a 6k next time as the empty tanks are the same cost from the place I went, just the gas is what you pay for once you have the tank.

Basically, if you are a casual user and need propane folks, phone up first and reserve a tank else you'll be doing a me and spending all afternoon trapesing about! Covid has a lot to answer for. Just wanted some gas so if we get another lock down, hubby is sorted and can occupy himself in his shed :lol:
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Propane

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Been like it a while Facebook selling pages are your friend for empty calor bottles ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:42 pm Been like it a while Facebook selling pages are your friend for empty calor bottles ;)
Aye, there were none local to me 😕 but I'll keep checking for a larger canister. Thanks.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
jansman

Post by jansman »

My brother lives on a New Age Traveller site.He does a good trade in gas bottles that he picks up - as Yorkshire Andy said- through social media. The 47kg ones he prizes,as it's gas that is the primary heating fuel in his community.

It just shows though,how in a quarter of a year,the ' System' has faltered in many areas of life.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Judging by the images i've seen the travellers tend to leave several behind ( along witha shed load of other crap) when they vacate a site. I've never quite understood why they dump them when they are actually worth something.
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:01 pm Judging by the images i've seen the travellers tend to leave several behind ( along witha shed load of other crap) when they vacate a site. I've never quite understood why they dump them when they are actually worth something.
They just nick another! :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Probably right , most of their stuff is nicked anyway .
jansman

Post by jansman »

We had a gypsy horse fair at the North End last week. It is a twice yearly event. I suspect one of the travellers owns the fields they hold it on. This time was something else though; racing horses and trotting carts through the village etc. But I digress.

I spoke to my brother this morning, and asked him about the gas bottles. He finds quite a few dumped, believe it or not. He has just swapped three (47 kg), and a guitar repair ,for a woodburner installation in his ‘van. The site he lives on ( owned) has some rather clever and practical residents.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Another option is a refillable bottle (refill yourself using a auto gas pump at a petrol station). Expensive initially but auto gas is cheaper £0.70 per l ish

Although some forecourts don't like you doing it for some reason even though it's the same as filling a lpg car

https://www.lpgshop.co.uk/safefill-larg ... qoQAvD_BwE
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine