Feuerhand 276

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Anyone any experience of them?

Widening the scope of winter preps for power failure and lighting

The runtime is good at 12hours by the book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Feuerhand-Galv ... n+l&sr=8-2

Local shop sells bartolone lamp oil for £2.99 per l

And shtf I've got a stock of paraffin for the greenhouse heater if needs must
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arwen Thebard

Re: Feuerhand 276

Post by Arwen Thebard »

I'm not sure if ours are this brand but they look identical, and I dont remember paying that much for them, Im too tight Mrs A says. Ours do feel quite "tinny" and light weight, but they work great even burning the cheap citrus lamp oil from our garden torches, although much too smokey to be used indoors. Haven't used them in the greenhouse though, but that's not a bad idea?
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:13 pm Anyone any experience of them?

Widening the scope of winter preps for power failure and lighting

The runtime is good at 12hours by the book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Feuerhand-Galv ... n+l&sr=8-2

Local shop sells bartolone lamp oil for £2.99 per l

And shtf I've got a stock of paraffin for the greenhouse heater if needs must
I have two of them. One I bought at a local hardware shop, and still good 30 years on. That one I use mainly as an anti frost heater in the outside loo. I have had Chinese knock offs, and they have come and gone. Because they leaked.

The Feurhand is ‘proper‘.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Thanks both

Got one ordered :D

Found lamp oil at the Yorkshire trading company £2.99 a bottle Vs £8 ish per l on flea bay so cheap to run too
Screenshot_20200626-071758.png

jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:16 am Thanks both

Got one ordered :D

Found lamp oil at the Yorkshire trading company £2.99 a bottle Vs £8 ish per l on flea bay so cheap to run too

Screenshot_20200626-071758.png
Thabks for the heads up on the lamp oil. ;)

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well postman pat has completed my order got 4l of lamp oil from the Yorkshire trading co

And the lantern..

Both delivered to the parents as I work......

Lost a litre of oil to my dad who promptly vanishes and pulls out his little oil lantern that I remember as a kid... From power cuts.... Grinning apparently he got it from a long since shut hardware shop (think 4 candles) he got it during the 3 day week for his flat! Bar rust at the top it's still in great condition (and dare I say it even with the I'm guessing Chinese) writing embossed it's better made than the German feuerhand :shock:

He spent 20 mins cleaning the globe.. in the end I polished the crap off (once petrol failed he's old school outside with "just a drop" ) for him with a cutting car polish ....

So I got home with 3 l of lamp oil :lol: (can't complain he provided me with beer this afternoon)

Filled the new lamp .... Let It sit an hour

Well out the box I'm guessing the wick cutter was a bit dull as the flame was sporadic and not even due to the frayed ragged ends once tidied up and trimmed

So trimmed with a sharp pair of cutters
Screenshot_20200627-224703.png
Smug grin .. I like candle / gas / old filament light.. I'm not a fan of the harsh white / blue led glare

Well worth £30 apparently from a max fill it will run for about 20 hours..

Screenshot_20200627-225424.png

jansman

Post by jansman »

Glad you like it.My Feurhands were bought from a similar hardware shop to the one your dad dealt with.John Adams in Leicester.Long gone now,but the sort of place you could buy anything in that line,get tools REPAIRED,sharpened etc. Where can you get a drill chuck actually mended these days?

Regarding your dad's (probably) Chinese lamp,stuff from China and Hong Kong was better made back then I think.I have a set of wooden handled chisels I bought off a market stall in the mid 80's.Chinese,easy to sharpen,and still with me.I have my late dad's Marples chisels/turning tools,and they are comparable to each other.The thing was ,back then,stuff was openly Chinese,and it had to compete.Now top flight companies get the stuff made there and put their badge on it.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:51 am Glad you like it.My Feurhands were bought from a similar hardware shop to the one your dad dealt with.John Adams in Leicester.Long gone now,but the sort of place you could buy anything in that line,get tools REPAIRED,sharpened etc. Where can you get a drill chuck actually mended these days?

Regarding your dad's (probably) Chinese lamp,stuff from China and Hong Kong was better made back then I think.I have a set of wooden handled chisels I bought off a market stall in the mid 80's.Chinese,easy to sharpen,and still with me.I have my late dad's Marples chisels/turning tools,and they are comparable to each other.The thing was ,back then,stuff was openly Chinese,and it had to compete.Now top flight companies get the stuff made there and put their badge on it.

I worked as a Saturday lad in the last local real "tool shop" they were service agents for Makita, Stihl , Bosch and black and decker...

The old boy in the back very rarely needed to use the microfisch reader ... You used to walk up the stairs... Max there's a guy with a Bosch GBH 24 drill switch is buggered..... "Fetch it up". He had rail slide ladder place was stacked to the roof with little plywood pigeon holes full of "stuff" by the time you'd got to the landing he'd be waiting with the switch and a screwdriver.... Shop Owner retired and that was the end about a year after another owner took over trying the pile the shop full of crap method... It didn't sell they pulled down the shutters. That and the new owner fell out with max who was at retirement age... An irriplaceable asset who told them to get stuffed (it's ok having 200 bins of stuff and parts .. but max had been a creative filer of stock and no-one could find stuff in there like him he made sure the suppliers know that he'd left as to have the "brand X service centre" you had to have a trained member of staff to their standards ;) they lost the service centre titles left right and centre.. firms like Stihl then wouldn't supply stock

Appin

Post by Appin »

These people do Lamps including Feuerhand thye also do the replacement parts.

http://www.hurricanelamps.co.uk/elitehurricanelamps.htm

Appin
tarmactatt

Post by tarmactatt »

I've a Tilly lamp which is great for outdoors but I've moved away from anything flammable for indoors, the health and fire risks are just too great.

I do agree about the horrible blue glare from cheap 'cold white' LED's. All of my torches are 'neutral' or 'warm white'. I've various plastic diffusers to use them as lanterns, or, for indoors, they can be pointed up at the ceiling to light the room.

I bought an LED lantern about 8 months ago from china, I tried to write a mini review because I was so chuffed with it but the mods deleted my thread as they thought it was spam. It is the BLF LT1 - not cheap but is dimmable and has adjustable 'white balance'. Runs on rechargeable 18650 cells, which I have plenty of. Biggest complaint from users seems to be an overly complicated user interface, so might not be suitable for everyone.

That said, I would still like a wick oil lamp, but I can't really justify it.

I should pull my finger out and do a LED lighting 101 post, covering different LED's, battery types/charging, run time, beam shapes, etc... I think lots of members would find it useful.