Reccomend a Bergen for me.

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
preppergb

Re: Reccomend a Bergen for me.

Post by preppergb »

Tried Ex mil packs still not as good as decent civvy ones I ended up with a 5:11 rush 72
JACKANGUS

Post by JACKANGUS »

preppergb wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:02 am Tried Ex mil packs still not as good as decent civvy ones I ended up with a 5:11 rush 72
I have to disagree with you there.
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

JACKANGUS wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:32 am
preppergb wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:02 am Tried Ex mil packs still not as good as decent civvy ones I ended up with a 5:11 rush 72
Each to their own I wore army bergens for many a year and hated everything about them except their durability.
JACKANGUS

Post by JACKANGUS »

preppergb wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:41 pm
JACKANGUS wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:32 am
Each to their own I wore army bergens for many a year and hated everything about them except their durability.
I can sacrifice a little comfort for durability, size, and price.
I have done many a long, horrid tab with those army bergens. I don't think they are that bad for comfort as long as you pack them well.
I'm not saying ex Army bergens are better than civvie packs just more durable and great size for the price.

I do really like the 5:11 rush 72 that you have but it's very pricey and I really want minimum, a 70ltr pack to 120ltr pack.
I will get one of those 5:11 packs for shorter trips though when I can afford it.
How hardy are the 5:11 packs? How has yours been?
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I think you can get away with a DPM pack. They look like what they are, cheap hard-wearing kit for bushcraft-on-a-budget or DofE starters.

The odd bit of cammo doesn't scream 'Squaddie-wannabe'..... A full matching set does.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
JACKANGUS

Post by JACKANGUS »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:58 am I think you can get away with a DPM pack. They look like what they are, cheap hard-wearing kit for bushcraft-on-a-budget or DofE starters.

The odd bit of cammo doesn't scream 'Squaddie-wannabe'..... A full matching set does.
I agree. It's not my first choice of colour but i'll take it for the price and how durable they are. I wouldn't mind just a plain green pack, that would be more suitable than DPM. At the end of the day, beggars can't be choosers.
Thanks for your input, appreciated.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I do have several ex-military packs (and not enough time to put any mileage on any of them).

The German one is only about 60ltrs, but has a handy pocket on the spine to put the issue kip-mat in so it acts like a frame (I haven't tried that as I don't have the mat)
My other one is an Olive PLCE (without the 'saddle bags')
I use a deployment bag as my luggage for long trips as I like the options of hold-all or pack
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

iv also got a us alice pack that i bought some years ago but tbh iv never really used it much,planned on using it as a day pack as i had it cheap
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
JACKANGUS

Post by JACKANGUS »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:42 pm I do have several ex-military packs (and not enough time to put any mileage on any of them).

The German one is only about 60ltrs, but has a handy pocket on the spine to put the issue kip-mat in so it acts like a frame (I haven't tried that as I don't have the mat)
My other one is an Olive PLCE (without the 'saddle bags')
I use a deployment bag as my luggage for long trips as I like the options of hold-all or pack
Nice pics. Thanks for taking the time to give your 2 cents worth. Im going to go with the Italian one. It's drab green I guess and cheap. 90 ltrs too.
Looks old but in good condition.

https://www.comrades.co.nz/wp-content/u ... Pack-3.jpg

https://www.comrades.co.nz/wp-content/u ... Pack-4.jpg

https://www.comrades.co.nz/wp-content/u ... Pack-5.jpg

Sorry about the links, wasn't sure how to post pics. I'm an idiot, lol.

Thanks again, appreciated.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Rusty74 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:09 pm iv also got a us alice pack that i bought some years ago but tbh iv never really used it much,planned on using it as a day pack as i had it cheap
Is it a medium ALICE? how big are they? I'd of thought they'd be on the large side for a day pack
I had a large ALICE for carrying my armour but the frame was far too narrow for me and it used to leave bruises so I sold it.
If you want a cheap, old school pack (ie one socking great big bag ) then ALICE is one choice.

JACK: Let us know what you think of your Italian when it arrives.