Reccomend a Bergen for me.

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Rusty74

Re: Reccomend a Bergen for me.

Post by Rusty74 »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:21 pm
Rusty74 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:09 pm iv also got a us alice pack that i bought some years ago but tbh iv never really used it much,planned on using it as a day pack as i had it cheap
Is it a medium ALICE? how big are they? I'd of thought they'd be on the large side for a day pack
I had a large ALICE for carrying my armour but the frame was far too narrow for me and it used to leave bruises so I sold it.
If you want a cheap, old school pack (ie one socking great big bag ) then ALICE is one choice.

JACK: Let us know what you think of your Italian when it arrives.
its the medium pack of 40 litres without the frame,jack would also like to hear what you think of your italian when you get it...
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
JACKANGUS

Post by JACKANGUS »

Hi guys, hope you're all healthy.

Just picked up my Italian pack yesterday. First impessions, very impressed, it's a monster.
There is no doubt this will leave my old British bergen in the dust.
I only payed $99 NZ which is 48 British pounds. It's second hand but in good condition.
They are made in Italy which is cool. It has a lot of straps at the front for attachments but honestly this bag is big, I don't think I will need any more attchments.
Feels very comfortable to wear and and it feels tough, this is going to last.

If you guys have any specific questions about this pack feel free to ask and I will try to answer them.
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

I'm hoping to god the days of me having to hump a full sized Gergen are long over :). I'm down to a Rush 12 for EDC and a Rush 24 for GHB duty. sadly I think I would really struggle to do 5 miles these days carrying much over 20 pounds.
JACKANGUS

Post by JACKANGUS »

preppergb wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:36 am I'm hoping to god the days of me having to hump a full sized Gergen are long over :). I'm down to a Rush 12 for EDC and a Rush 24 for GHB duty. sadly I think I would really struggle to do 5 miles these days carrying much over 20 pounds.
Funny you say that. I have been out the Army for 20 years and two days ago decided to try the CFT, 40 pounds, 8 miles in under 2 hours.
Did it in 1 hour 49 minutes. Had a bit of a stretch then spewed my load. lol. Not just once either, about 6 times over a few hours. That's the first time I have ever spewed from any sort of training.
I'm not doing that for fun again I can tell you.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

preppergb wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:36 am I'm hoping to god the days of me having to hump a full sized Gergen are long over :). I'm down to a Rush 12 for EDC and a Rush 24 for GHB duty. sadly I think I would really struggle to do 5 miles these days carrying much over 20 pounds.
Lightweight kit.

That's me before the Virus hit and my trip was cancelled.

28 pounds all in with food for 5 days.

It was to be rinse and repeat for 2,000 miles but sadly not to be
Attachments
007 AT.jpg
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

JACKANGUS wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:54 am
Funny you say that. I have been out the Army for 20 years and two days ago decided to try the CFT, 40 pounds, 8 miles in under 2 hours.
Did it in 1 hour 49 minutes. Had a bit of a stretch then spewed my load. lol. Not just once either, about 6 times over a few hours. That's the first time I have ever spewed from any sort of training.
I'm not doing that for fun again I can tell you.
The last time I tried a hike with a full loadout after about 5 miles my legs started shaking uncontrolablly I felt dizzy and sick and got the wobbles. I left the army in 94 , should have known better in my mid 60s :). Now 12 to 20 pounds is my lot AND a slower walking pace as well.
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

pseudonym wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:10 pm
Lightweight kit.

Heck these days I only carry enough nosh for a max of 24 hours.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

preppergb wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:22 pm
pseudonym wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:10 pm
Lightweight kit.

Heck these days I only carry enough nosh for a max of 24 hours.
The resupply areas were going to average every 5 days or so on the Trail I was attempting so needs must
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.