Sleeping bag temperature ratings

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Yorkshire Andy

Sleeping bag temperature ratings

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well after last night's garden outing with the kids in a tent bar the flipping cat deciding to use it as a play gym and putting it's claws through in several places :evil: (mcnetts tinacious tape has just saved it's skin from becoming slippers)

I've used my snugpac elite 3 several times usually summer time and it's been too warm so with a comfort rating of -5°C thought I'd use it last night. Well with a t-shirt and boxers it got down to +6°c and it was a touch bordering on rather cool wouldn't have fancied been in it at 0°c fully dressed let alone -5°c or even less so at its risk rating of -10°c

https://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/softie-elite-984

Always good to have a proper kit test

tonight (apparently the kids have demanded a rerun :lol: ) I'll add the supposedly thermal thermolite sleeping bag liner and see how that goes :lol: ..

The kids were happy in their fleece jammies with their cheap 2/3 season mummy bags and MY snugpac XL jungle blanket draped over them both :lol:

Screenshot_20200418-115331.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Re: Sleeping bag temperature ratings

Post by pseudonym »

I had a snugpak many moons ago, their temp ratings are off.

My Down quilts have lived up to the stated temps.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Still got our snugpak softies from our first inter rail in the nineties!
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

i use an ex military artic down filled dos bag great bit of kit been out on the mountain camping in december and sure does keep the cold out at night and use a goretex liner with it to make sure it stays dry,think you can pick them up for around £40 though i had mine off my brother when he was in the army along with alot of my camping gear lol
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well last night it got down to 2°c Mrs a took to the house with little man about 11:30 as he wouldn't stay in his sleeping bag and had got cold (warm milk and his bed in the house fixed that issue)

Me and little miss stayed out it got down to 2°c here (glad I lit the paraffin heater in the greenhouse just one wick on as low as I could get it kept it 2°c warmer
Screenshot_20200419-083407.png
The thin thermolite sleeping bag liner I picked up for a fiver! from our local bankrupt stock shop did the trick I was warm all night :mrgreen: probably hard to justify this price:

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/sea-to-sum ... 5169400460

But they seem to work :D
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
tarmactatt

Post by tarmactatt »

Ultralight outdoor seem to have one of the best summary pages for sleeping bag ratings to EN13537:

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... -need-i303

In my experience, I find the sleeping mat makes a HUGE difference to my night's sleep. I tend to go for the closed cell foam pads nowadays, I find they have are a good cost- to-weight to durability to warmth compromise!