Reusing masks guidance

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
preppergb

Re: Reusing masks guidance

Post by preppergb »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:09 pm
preppergb wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:14 pm As far as I understand it proving the elastic straps, mouth seals and exhaust valves are not perished or decayed they should be fine.
I wondered if that was mostly what expiry of "generalist" type masks was about, thanks for that.
Thats how industrial masks were treated when I worked in the Chem industry, Even slightly perished or worn rubber sealing edges or a non return valve that was not 100% saw it binned. We found it was the rubber / neoprene valve flats and edge seals dried out in time often due to sunlight exposure.

I have no knowledge about washing masks though, I think personally I would avoid that option if given a choice.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

grenfell wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:22 pm Thanks for that. I didn't look on the straps just on the box :oops: guess i'll have to look again. If the expiry date on those you have is 2021 do you know when they were made just to give an idea of how long they last. I have around 200 FFP3 NR masks with the activated charcoal , still sealed in their bag brought probably late 2018 or early 2019.
Guessing 5 years shelf life see pricing gun type sticker
Screenshot_20200415-193957.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Thanks for that , i've probably got ones older than that in the workshop but interesting to know. It wasn't something i had actually considered before now probably because for most of my life i've just been able to pick up a mask or filter from company stores as and when i needed them.